http://www.fightwriter.com/files/Hla...o%20action.jpg

Photo Caption:
HLATSHWAYO: he has the experience.

Odds (Line 1):
Hlatshwayo -175; Medley +155

Odds (Line 2):
Over 10.5 -200; under 10.5 +160

Main Body:
Unbeaten Australian prospect Robert Medley steps up in class when he challenges South Africa’s Isaac Hlatshwayo for the IBO welter title in New South Wales on Friday.
Medley is the puncher in the fight, with 12 opponents stopped in his 18 successive wins. Tall and rangy, he is also naturally the bigger man, having won the Australian title at 154 pounds before moving down to the 147-pound division. Hlatshwayo, meanwhile, turned professional as a lightweight and is having only his second fight at welterweight.
It seems that the 26-year-old Medley specifically asked for this fight. I haven’t seen Medley but reports from Australia describe him in words like “rising star” and “impresses every time he steps in the ring”.
Medley has faced what could be called carefully selected opposition but he has dominated everyone put in front of him, either stopping his opponents or outpointing them by wide margins. He shares a common opponent with Hlatshwayo in the South African Kaiser Mabuza: Hlatshwayo outpointed Mabuza in a lightweight bout, Medley at welter.
Although Hlatshwayo was outclassed and almost stopped by Kendall Holt I think he was draining himself to make 140 pounds. I gather that he looked strong and sharp in his last fight, when he won a unanimous decision over fellow-South African Joseph Makaringe, a solid, experienced fighter. Hlatshwayo has the experience of having boxed in the U.S. and he comes from the top-level Nick Durandt gym in Johannesburg.
Medley will have the crowd right behind him but I think this is a very tough fight for the Aussie, and if he cannot land big punches early he could find himself being worn down in the later rounds by his smaller but more seasoned opponent.
This is an interesting fight but I will go with Hlatshwayo’s expertise at a high level to overcome the Australian’s hometown and physical advantages, with the South African using his jab and combinations to earn a hard-fought points verdict.

Last Updated: October 10, 2007 10:13pmNote: Odds are for entertainment purposes only

Last edited by one punch; 07-28-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Robot16 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links