View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 AM   #48
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Johnson news reads. Battling Jim, MCvey, Jeanette, and Langford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
If I really wanted to raise Jeffries up higher and higher, I speak of Johnson in unrealistic misty eyed terms they way you do. This way Jeffries lost to superior all time #2 heavyweight. Does this make sense to you McVey?

But I am objective, and I don't think Johnson was anywhere near that good. I have shown the board why rather convincingly. As for Ali, hes my #1 too. We have that in common! However, I do think Ali was lucky to win some of his fights, and I examine them with the same objectivity. See how easy that is? Just take off those glasses, watch the films, read news clippings, study the ages and experience level of when the fights happened and embrace the truth. It's not too hard.

Liking a fighter and fairly ranking him are two different things. For example, I think Aurto Gatti is one of the most exciting fighters of our generation. Yet Aurto wasn't an all time great in my book. I like him a lot, but remain reasonable about his chances vs the best.
I dont "like " Jack Johnson,I think he was a pretty objectionable human being,he beat women,was extrememly vain,dishonest,untrustworthy,and could be cruel,I rate him as I do because thats where I think he belongs,Fleischer rated him higher!,and before you attack him again ,remember ,he put Jeffries at no 2,so if you make a cas for old Nat being biased ,you are tearing down your god,old bigoted Jeff,who bet$5000,on Fitz at odds of 10/6 to beat himself in their first fight,on the grounds he was covering "allbets"..Stop cherry picking incidents,anyone can make a case ,being selective about a fighters career,Ali gets beat by a fighter with only 7 pro bouts,knocked down by a cruiserweight ,Cooper,and a journeyman ,Wepner.Louis is kd by a fat out of shape bartender twice,Galento,hurt by a LH who didnt have ko power at 175,Conn.Jeffries is beaten black and blue by a man who hadnt had a fight in 2 years who was 37 and7 pounds above Middleweight,,Holmes just scraped by comparative novices like Witherspoon and Williams,Dempsey was taken the decision by a fat Sailor who couldnt punch ,not once but several times ,Meehan.Isolate bouts from any fighters resume and you can spin the bottle in your favourite direction.Joe Frazier beat ONE ATG,and that guy was back from over 3 years out of the ring ,with only 18 rounds of boxing under his belt,you can go on for ever,dont you get tired? Sing another song.
mcvey is offline  Top