View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 03:41 AM   #97
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Just watched Mark Johnson vs. Alberto Jimenez, and wow... fantastic, fantastic fight.

Jimenez was as solid as a rock throughout, and walked through every single Johnson punch, making him look like an ordinary hitter, when he was anything but that. Jimenez's punches were short, sharp, solid and very heavy. He had Johnson in trouble on a few occasions, but never to the extent of being close to knocking him out. Jimenez's defense was quite good too, he took away Johnson's jab somewhat and rolled with punches well when he needed to.

Johnson was full of activity and speed and threw a heap of punches whilst moving for most of the fight. Some real sharpness to his punches, mixed in with some wild shots as we know he is capable of. Tremendous conditioning overall to fight as he did for 12 rounds and I thought he boxed superbly overall.

I can see how some felt that Jimenez won this fight given that he did finish rounds the stronger and his punches seemed to effect Johnson more than vice versa, but for me Johnson was simply landing too many clean shots to offset those advantages, and he was controlling the first two minutes of most rounds before Jimenez would come on.

Anyway, my scorecard:

Mark Johnson vs. Alberto Jimenez: 116-113 Johnson
Jimenez: 1,5,9 and 11.
Johnson: 2,3,4,6,7,8 and 10.
Round 12 even.

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 01-07-2010 at 04:04 AM.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top