Old 06-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #15
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Grant vs Zumbrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat
I do hope Grant can come back into contention........
That's kind of you. I must admit, I'm a sucker for an underdog and I would like Grant to at least finish with a bit of respectibility. He was 255lbs too, so as always his dedication in training remains intact.

More detailed report from Glick at Secondsout.com :

The show opener was a special heavyweight affair between 255-pound Michael Grant, who hasn’t fought in two years against journeyman, Billy “The Kid” Zumbrun. Grant, who challenged Lennox Lewis for the title back in 2000, is on the comeback trail.

Grant, 42-3 (32), looked rusty and told that to this reporter as he left the ring. The good news is that he worked well behind a jab, but didn’t start sending the right hand after it until the fifth. When he did he had the 226-pound Zumbrun, from Ogden, UT, in deep trouble. As Zumbrun, 21-9-1 (11), attempted to grab him, Grant, from Atlanta, GA, kept slipping out of Zumbrun’s grasp and landed more power shots that convinced referee Jim Santa that it was time to end it at 2:17 of the fifth round of eight scheduled.

Throughout the fight the shorter Zumbrun continuously tried to rush inside but while he did manage to land some wild swings, he was never able to land anything meaningful.
DamonD is offline  Top