View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #127
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

I thought that was a real off-night for Buchanan.Watt was green, but like Witherspoon against Holmes, he never looked better than this fight imo.Have to consider the scottish rivalry aspect as well, Watt really rose to the occasion.

The difference i saw between this and the Arguello fight was that Arguello made no effort to "box", just punching the stuffing out of Watt with his usual accurate powershots and quickly getting him into survival mode.Buchanan as you say, just did his usual pointscoring orientated offense, only with a good deal less sharpness than his best efforts.Against a super accurate minimalist jabber like Watt, who was world class because he fought smart and did a few basic things eceptionally well, it was never going to make for a showcase by trying to pit those very same tools(jab-one-two) right back at him.

Buchanan did show his underrated infighting when the fight got in close though.He could really throw nice short combos in there.I thnk he would have done much better, had he focused more on it, as Watt needs much more room to operate.
Mantequilla is offline  Top