View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #40
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most beautiful boxing style you've seen...

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I'm a little surprised that Joey Archer's name hasn't come up yet. It was something to hear the cheers of the MSG crowd rise as his jabs started streaming out to score on a continually moving Griffith.

Dempsey was more cobra like on real time movie film than the herky-jerky quality which inferior footage reproductions on youtube suggest.

An overlooked masterpiece by Benitez was his dissection of Chiaverini. Normally, Wilfred's punches had a tap-tap-tap quality when he countered off the ropes, but he really beat the shit out of Tony in this one. Chiaverini was never close to going down, but he didn't protest the stoppage much either after it was halted. He was interviewed in the ring following their match, and sounded like he was completely wiped out. A heavyweight version of Benitez would have been a peak George Foreman's ultimate nightmare.

Vilomar Fernandez used his legs as well in the opening rounds of his challenge of Hilmer Kenty as I've ever seen anybody apply footwork.
Duodenum is offline  Top