View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 08:46 AM   #182
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Watched a couple of Sandy Saddler's fights today: against Del Flanagan and Charley Riley.

Fighting with a Willie Pep style, Del Flanagan flashed some pretty fast hands and feet. Del was actually from Willie Pep's camp and no doubt had the blueprint for how to fight Sandy set from Willie himself. Flanagan repeatedly was able to land the jab/right-hand combination on Saddler, who stalked Flanagan futiley trying to rip under his ribcage with the murderous left uppercut of his. Saddler seemed to be coming on towards the end a little, but Flanagan was too far ahead to be pegged back.

With that said, had this fight not been in Flanagan's backyard, there's a good chance he would have been disqualified. Every time Saddler got within distance of Flanagan, Del would flagrantly hold on for dear life and not allow any in-fighting to occur. There was more punch and grab in this fight than Hopkins-Wright, and it's unlikely that he would have been allowed to hold as much as he did on neutral ground.

I had Flanagan taking the fight by a point, but if I was the ref, I would have docked at least a couple points, thereby giving Sandy the win.

Sandy's fight with Charlie Riley was a much more fan friendly affair. Riley, a Frankie ****** type non-stop punching machine, stood toe to toe with Saddler and ripped hooks and uppercuts for the duration of the bout. He rocked Saddler pretty good in the second round to the thunderous applause of the crowd, but Saddler re-composed himself quickly and from then on proceeded to tear Riley up with those famed uppercuts of his.

Though Saddler clearly won the fight, Riley put up a much more gallant effort than Flanagan, who put on a display post prime Camacho would have been somewhat disgusted with.

Anyway, my cards:

Sandy Saddler vs. Del Flanagan vs: 96-95 Flanagan

Saddler: 2,5,9 and 10.
Flanagan: 3,4,6,7 and 8.
Round 1 even.

Sandy Saddler vs. Charley Riley: 97-94 Saddler
Riley: 1,2 and 6.
Saddler: 3,4,5,7,8 and 9.
Round 10 even.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top