View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #23
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is there a best time to go running?

Thats an improper application of physics, which is common in "exercise physiology." Went to school with a lot of guys wanting to become "exercise physiologists", they never took a single physics class and they never took thermo nor could they if they wanted to they simply lacked the math skill to do it.

Alwyn Cosgrove is doing is improperly applying a system. In physics you try and define your system properly to minimize the analysis needed but you have to be careful not to make your system too broad. I see "exercise physiologists" do this a lot because they are nincompoops when it comes to physics.

Not surprising since Alwyn Cosgrove never took thermo or has the base knowledge to even audit the class much less understand it. I've looked at the course requirements for "sports science" degrees. The science education is mainly physiology most of the time a single non-calc based physics course isn’t even required as part of the core.

In the case of body fat and calorie balance we have tried to define a system that is too dynamic for our purpose as a single system and inappropriately applied the 1st law of thermodynamics to that system. Here is a hint. If you didn’t take thermo don’t apply its laws as an expert. You are not an expert on thermodynamics you are an ignorant dumbass Mr. Cosgrove. Any guy I can pull off the street knows just as much about thermo and maybe more.

In the case of the human body the dynamics are too complex to look at it as one system when it comes to fat burning. You cant lump it all into one system and then extrapolate fat metabolism from that dynamic system. When you lump it all as one system you loose the ability to separate its internal dynamics. That’s what you give up when you set broad systems. So you are misapplying the 1st law for that purpose.
Windigo is offline  Top