Old 05-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #20
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
It's more along the lines of a certain race of fighters being shunned out of big oppertunities because of racial discrimination. Just imagine if the color line was drawn in the heavyweight division from 1940 to present. ATG heavyweights like Joe Louis, Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Muhammad Ali, Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier, Floyd Patterson, George Foreman, Larry Holmes, Mike Tyson would have all been deprived of the heavyweight title. Just imagine back in Fitz era, if there were talents like men mentioned above, who simply never got to reach their full potential because of lack of training and title fight oppertunities white fighters were given? Back in fitz era, he only had to fight white fighters. thats eliminating a large group of the boxing talent.

Is it a coincidence that post 1940 most linear heavyweight champions have been black? In fact I think all but 3(johansson, marciano, W klitschko) have been black. Why is that in your opinion?

Why is it that most players in the NBA are black? Why is it that most runningbacks/recievers/defensive backs in the NFL are black? why is it that most sprinters are black? Why can't a white person ever keep up with a kenyan in the boston marathon? Let's face it. Black people naturally are faster than white people physically. There are always anomaly's, but for the most part this is true. I don't have scientific evidence to back up this claim, but I don't think I am alone in this opinion.
This is a whole can or worms. I like athletes based on their merits rather than break it down by race. However, in athletics, whites have set world records and/or won Olympic and World Championships in every event from the 200 meters to the marathon over the past 30 years or so years. They have also done the same in the jumps, dominating the high jump for one. In regards to the marathon, Carlos Lopez, Stefano Baldini, Gelindo Bordin, Young Cho have all won Olympic marathons since '84. So... I'm not sure if the rationale of Black superiority in all these events is really true, at least not for the top few spots. I know for sure the recruitment is better in some countries for certain events and for certain ethnicities for certain events in some countries (i.e. you will rarely find a US coach steering white or hispanic athletes toward sprints)

For boxing, I think it is more to do with the poverty and access to training equipment. For instance, how could one explain the Latin American domination below middleweight? Guys who go 135 pounds are not getting swept up by the NBA or the NFL? Yet, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Panama, and to a lesser extent the countries of South America have dominated these divisions over the past 40 years.

Like I said, it's a whole can of worms. I think anytime you exclude any potential pool of talent, you are doing a disservice to a sport. But the same thing has happened to South Africa, Cuba and the former Iron Curtain countries.
Seamus is online now  Top