GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
the man in your avatar was leagues ahead of fitzsimmons in my opinion
Maybe not leagues. I do think Arguello was the better fighter but not the greater fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
A style that perhaps pertains more to bareknuckle style than modern boxing?
No, he had a style that was unorthodox for any era. He was truly unique. He changed his style for fighting Corbett, he played a patient counter-punching game and subtely pressured Corbett and countered his mistakes, ok he was losing on points but it was a long-term strategy.

In other fights, he was regarded as a very scientific fighter who utilised what you called modern traits like footwork and movement. This is a complete hunch and I havent found any conclusive evidence but I think Fitz utilised a lazy jab. But despite being regarded as a clever boxer he could also turn on the pressure and throw combinations and be a very explosive finisher, and relentless attacker.

Quote:
I thought Corbett got the better of Fitz in the film until the knockout blow. Corbett was a lil bit past it at the time too.
Yep, as I said I think Fitzsimmons utilised a long-term strategy. I will put it out, that I think Fitzsimmons has a more modern style than Corbett.

Quote:
Corbett outboxed him easily, corbett knocked fitz down(fitz cheated by grabbing on to the ref and prevented himself from being counted out enabling him to get a long count). Corbett used modern boxing traits like footwork, movement, and a left jab. Fitz seemed very confused.
I think 'easily' is pushing it, but yes he was winning. AAs I have said before i think Fitz utilised a long-term strategy, a pateint 'trap-smith' style, intent on slowing down Corbett and getting him out late.

Quote:
Fitz did land a a great equalizer, perfectly timed. Great Punch. Solar Plexus shot is deadly.
And he always had this, making him a H2H nightmare IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
I will not comment on the ability of Bob Fitzimmons...
But there was one man who SAW every heavyweight from John L Sullivan to Joe Louis...He was a famous American poet who wrote the definitive piece on Bob Fitzimmons...The poet was Edgar Lee Masters,1869-1950..He saw every champion until 1949,and was a boxing lover besides a poet...He insisted that Bob Fitzimmons who Masters saw many times would have licked every heavyweight,until 1949...Very convincing...
The article is in a book I have called The Book of Boxing, by W.C. Heinz and Nathan Ward...The Time Of Ruby Robert,article titled pg.228..
What a convincing piece from a boxing expert who saw them ALL..A Fighting Machine On Stilts, Ruby Robert was called...Check it out...b.b.
Thanks for that Burt. I will definitly look out for that book.
GPater11093 is offline  Top