Old 05-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #41
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685
Default Re: Bob Fitzsimmons Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
A verry high pound for pound ranking can be justified.

No fighter since him has established lineage at middleweight, light heavyweight and anything north of 175lbs.

I also think that a case can be made for ranking him among the top 20 heavyweights of all time based on acomplishments relative to his era. There will always be questions about how he would have fared against top heavyweights from later eras due to his size but he basicaly beat everybody except Jeffries.
There was also a time when he was probably the best lightweight in the world! Well, at least, if not the best, he was a never beaten prospect who beat the best in his country!

Also, no fighter has ever won a World Heavyweight title fight while weighing in at the middleweight limit!

Actually, the only other fighter who has ever won a world heavyweight title, while weighing in as a light heavyweight was Tommy Burns! And that was against Marvin Hart, (who was not really the universally accepted world champion) and his defences against Jim Flynn and Jack O Brien, who themselves weighed under the light heavyweight limit! Unbelievably, i have just found another fact which surprises me and raises the efforts of the Great Bob Fitzsimmons. Will it ever end?

I think anyone who has him outside the top 10 lb 4 lb simply has not read much about him or is not considering him, because of lack of film. Realistically, it is very hard to see anyone who has good knowledge of what he did rating him much lower than top 5. Personally, i rank him at no 1.
Boilermaker is offline  Top