View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gerry Cooney - the hardest puncher ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Spadafora View Post
Cooney had no right hand. None. Always trying to hook with the left. It is a shame he was not developed better by a proper trainer. He had potential but it was never realized.
That's a bit of a misconception. A right hand was the shot which initially stunned Norton, and another right tore open Young's face, leading directly to the stoppage. Earlier than that, he dug it to the body pretty well.

Valle and Cooney worked very hard to further develop it, and he did execute a few good looking rights to Young's head, although that was about as good as his cross ever got. I think it was a slightly better right than Frazier's, and arguably better than the hook Marciano had prior to Louis. The potential was clearly there for him to develop his right into a consistently deadly weapon.

Where I thought he screwed up was in the failure to utilize his jab far more than he did. That was his power hand, and he had the height and reach necessary to make it highly effective. Holmes said it was a good punch, but I clearly remember him doubling up on it just once during their showdown.
Duodenum is offline  Top