View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #21
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158
Default Re: Gerry ****ey - the hardest puncher ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
That's a bit of a misconception. A right hand was the shot which initially stunned Norton, and another right tore open Young's face, leading directly to the stoppage. Earlier than that, he dug it to the body pretty well.

Valle and ****ey worked very hard to further develop it, and he did execute a few good looking rights to Young's head, although that was about as good as his cross ever got. I think it was a slightly better right than Frazier's, and arguably better than the hook Marciano had prior to Louis. The potential was clearly there for him to develop his right into a consistently deadly weapon.

Where I thought he screwed up was in the failure to utilize his jab far more than he did. That was his power hand, and he had the height and reach necessary to make it highly effective. Holmes said it was a good punch, but I clearly remember him doubling up on it just once during their showdown.
I have read where observers of the day said ****ey actually had a very good Jab when he used it and pretty good hand speed for for about 4 or 5 rounds for such a big guy at the time.

I watched the Holmes fight the other day and Valle was telling him every round to double up on the Jab and Gerry just would not do it. The strategy they had for that fight was just awful. Not that Valle was not a good trainer but I would have liked to have seen what say Gil Clancy could have done with ****ey had he got him from the beginning. I think Valle babied and coddled ****ey too much.
Rico Spadafora is offline  Top