View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #28
Cmoyle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: best boxing books and why

'No Man Stands Alone' by Barney Ross. Great read.

'Somebody Up There Likes Me' Rocky Graziano. One of my favorite reads

'Champions Off Guard' by william Inglis 1932. Interesting read and insights by a man who not only knew fighters like Fitzsimmons, Sullivan, Corbett, Dempsey, Tunney, etc. intimately, but sparred with a number of them.

'Wise Guy. James J. Johnston: A Rhapsody in Fistics' by Marcus Griffin. 1933. Interesting read about the long-time fight promoter/manager known as "The Boy Bandit".

'Flight of the Hawk' by Aaron Pryor. Another terrific read, I couldn't put this one down.

'The Roosevelt That I Know' by Mike Donovan. 1909. Great insights by the forrmer U.S. middleweight champ who knew John L. Sullivan, Kilrain, the original Jack Dempsey, and a host of others, as well as Theodore Roosevelt whom he sparred with frequently.

'Muldoon, The Solid Man of Sport' by Edward Van Every 1929

'The Fearless Harry Greb' by Bill Paxson

'Corner Men' by Fried. Good read.

'In the Days of Giants. Memories of a Champion of the Prize Ring' by William Doherty. 1931. Interesting read by the Australian heavyweight champion . Filled with anecdotes about men such as Bob Fitzsimmons, Kid McCoy,, Joe Goddard, Frank Slavin, and Peter Jackson among many others.

Those are just a few that quickly come to mind.
Cmoyle is offline  Top