Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #67
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Harry Greb vs. Sugar Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
You may be correct. I wouldnt be surprised if Greb was quicker than Ray. But, the point is that Ray is quicker than most of the opponents Greb did well against. And i think that Greb might be troubled more by speedy boxer (particularly one with power as well) than by a big hitter. I think this is a similar situation to say a Muhammed Ali, who pretty much loved facing the bigger hitters. I dont think that Ray hitting harder than Greb would have any effect on Greb, but the fact that he hits hard and with his speed may land far more often that many of the guys who had Rays level of power is waht could trouble Greb. And no mattere what either of us thinks, there is no way to tell whether Greb or Ray is quicker. I hear what you are saying, but I dont think consensus would necessarilly make Ray the slower fighter (between guys who saw both?).

It is a funny situation when you think about it, the naturally smaller fighter quite possibly hits harder but is slower. Who wins, the Stronger little man or the slower big man
The origin of punching power is a mystery.Big powerful and muscular men cant break an egg, while a bag of bones Lew Jenkins could hit a ton...
In the case of Ray Robinson.tall at almost 6 ft, with sloping shoulders
that made his arms reach his target sooner, with whip like muscular
arms, along with great hand speed , made him a formidable puncher...
In the shorter Greb's case,Harry never anchored himself with his punches
as he was perpetual motion on the move...But as Gene Tunney stated
"Greb could punish"..Volleys upon volleys of punches kept his opponents
so busy defending themselves round after round...Some British
middleweight who Greb stopped was quoted as saying, "i thought the ceiling opened up and a roomful of gloves descended upon me ".
Greb and Robinson two different immortals ,both with a will to win, second
to none. IMO...
burt bienstock is online now  Top