View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 11:25 PM   #36
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most overrated HW of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
No excuses are neccesary. Lewis had a couple of serious weaknesses that were exploited by good opposition. Those very good fighters he took on were not able to beat him.

He beat every fighter he ever faced.

There is no heavyweight, ever, who would have an easy evening with him. At all.

If that isn't your cup of tea, that's OK, but to answer a few of your points:

The ref didn't stop the McCall fight to quickly. But many of the fighters he's compared to (i'd say Jeffreis through to Holmes) would have been allowed to continue under similair circumstances in their own eras.

Lewis' weakenss SPECIFICALLY allows for lesser fighters to beat him. That is his specific problem, make of that what you will.

Lewis' vitory of "mental cripple" McCall IS impressive to me because it demonstrates that Lewis doesn't share in McCall's weakness. The dog that bit you and all that there.

Many people seek to denegrate Lewis because of these losses - I'm not one of them principally because i'm always interested in fighters at their very best.
Lewis also has an underated chin. He was TKO'd by McCall, but got up from the booming right hand that floored him to be stopped on his feet. And we all know what Rahman's right done to him. So he was defeated twice from more or less single punches. But he showed a dynamite chin against Mercer, Holyfield II, and Klitschko. Two of those fights were wars where he took many punches.

Your right, "Lewis' weakness allows specifically for lesser fighters to beat him". McCall and Rahman. But in that weakness he also gained a strength. The ability to come back and win against fighters who had previously defeated him. He beat them both in rematches. Which in my opinion is one of the main ingredients of greatness.
Robbi is offline  Top