Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #59
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 136
Default Re: Prime for Prime-Evander Holyfidld vs Mike Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
Good points and its nice to see someone else actually recognizes this and something Ive maintained all along. Holyfield really tweaked his style to compliment his degrading skills in the mid 90's. He punched in spots, fought more flat footed and was less apt to brawl.
That being said, stylistically in 90, Holyfield was going to be outgunned if it got physical and it would have. Unless Holyfield lands something substantial between Tyson's bombs he simply didnt have the firepower to trade with Tyson. If Bowe could stand and trade with Holyfield like he did, Tyson of 1990 can do it too. Hes faster, punches harder and has a better chin than Bowe.
Its a tough call, but I think that Benton and Duva would drill into Holyfields head the need to box and pick his spots. I know he lost his game plan and just threw down with Bowe, but Bowe was a fighter that Holyfield had sparred with and I truly believe that he never thought then that Bowe could have fought the way he did that night. So I think in that fight Holyfield was sure at some point he would break Bowe which he didn't.
Bonecrusher is offline  Top