Old 07-02-2007, 03:12 AM   #18
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588
Default Re: Lennox Lewis v Muhammad Ali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Ali had one-punch power? Since when? And Lewis at his best stood in there with bigger hitters than those guys without even tasting canvas, so you can bring up those two fights all you want, they don't hold ANY relevance in this fight. Lewis by decision, and I love Ali. I think Ali rates above him, but head to head Lewis gives him or anyone else hell.
I love debating you man - you are a fierce competitor for your positions, and I respect that. BUt you're DEAD WRONG here. Neither McCall OR Rahman were known as particularly heavy hitters UNTIL they starched Lewis. Their reps as "punchers" are almost entirely made off the Lewis fight.

Look at Rahman - two fights with glass-jawed Oleg Maskaev, who is another guys whose power is overrated, btw - and he couldn't even put him on the canvas. At least McCall managed that. On the other hand he couldn't take out china-chinned Frank Bruno. These guys are basically "one hit wonders" - and Lewis was their one hit!!

As far as Lewis not getting laid out by Tua, or Mercer - who are probably the hardest hitters he's faced, well I credit the adjustments he and Manny made after the McCall debacle. And it's one of the reasons that Lewis IS an ATG - they worked on defensive techniques, blocking punches, rolling with punches, etc. - and it worked beautifully.

In fact, given Lewis' shaky chin, if it wasn't for the McCall and Rahman KOs and the fact that he faced old versions of Holyfield and Tyson and didn't face Bowe - I'd probably put him in the top five, achievement wise!
Zakman is online now  Top