View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 AM   #29
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis v Muhammad Ali

I don't see Ali having too many problems with Lewis - Lewis would be too frustrated trying to establish his jab, that he wouldn't be able to get set, much like Liston. Ali was too fast, his reflexes were too sharp, and used the ring too well for Lewis - I think Lewis would steal a few rounds early on, if he pressed the action while Ali took it easy (Much like his matchup against Ernie Terrell) but Lewis would tire down the stretch and end up suffering a relatively wide UD to the boxer with better conditioning, spirit, speed and footwork.

I don't think Ali could make Lewis "respect" him with his power, like some have suggested, I'm still not buying the Lennox Lewis "china chin" theory, but I don't think Lewis was able to apply the sort of pressure neccessary to defeat Ali.

Oh, and I don't think Lewis is neccessarily better than Liston, not the case at all in my opinion, but I think Lewis would trouble Ali to a greater extent partially because he was put together a lot better psychologically than Liston. Lewis may have lacked some heart, but he was not nearly as messed up in the mind as Liston. Ali was a bad stylistic matchup for Liston and thus he crumbled.
Sizzle is offline  Top