Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #30
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis v Muhammad Ali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
The fact remains that Tyson had trouble with a bigger guy who wouldn't be pushed around, and one who had a good jab to keep Tyson off. I think a guy like Lennox, and even a prime Holmes, had the ability to beat a prime Tyson.
The jab theory is rubbish. Tyson only had troubles with a strong effective jab when
a) he abandoned his own jab when making his way inside
b) he abandoned his head movement, and
c) he abandoned roadwork among other things which made him flatfooted and easier to hit alot quicker in a bout.

At this point Tyson relied on "busting" his way into range against his opponents and looking for one big shot to end or change the fight. This was not the case in the prime of Tysons career though, as I think is evident from the footage.

In fact, I would say Pinklon Thomas and Larry Holmes offered two of the best jabs Tyson came across in his career - And he was a master of slipping the jab, getting inside and bombing his opponents. And if you threw the jab lazily, a la Carl Williams, he could counter it directly and end the fight in an instant.

Tyson was excellent at working off the jab of his opponent to mount his own offense.
Sizzle is offline  Top