View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #40
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Do you consider Juan Manuel Marquez to be an ATG

Quote:
Saying the best Marquez did against Pacquaio is managing a draw is also omitting facts, he won more rounds than Pac in both fights, and the majority of polls had him winning the rematch, if not the first
He drew the first fight and lost the second. Those are the facts.

Quote:
As for the MAB/Casa issue, yes they were past prime, and MAB was above his best weight (which in fairness JMM may have been but he carried 130 better). But MAB is an ATG, Casa is a near great. Both have elite boxing skills even if past prime. To write off those 2 wins as 'so what' is very unfair to Marquez. The there is his featherweight tenure, where he took on all kinds of tricky tasks, all the top10 contenders that while not great were good fighters of different styles.
Good job I wasn't writing those wins off as "so what". They are very good wins, not great ones, but unfortunately for Marquez, they probably stand as two of his most impressive victories next to the Juan Diaz fights.

I don't put a great deal of stock in the fighters Marquez was facing at 126lbs. Tricky customers? Manuel Medina? Robbie Peden? Derrick Gainer? Certainly fights Marquez would be expected to win and win well. Decent, but nothing particularly noteworthy in my estimation. I believe Marco to have a more impressive Featherweight resume even despite the Pacquiao defeat.

Quote:
Earlier in his career Marquez suffered from being 'a who needs him' fighter, a promoter (Arum) who didn't want to match him against his cash cow in Morales and bad management that advised him not to take the short money against Hamed/Pacquaio rematch. If he got Pacquaio 6months after the first fight it likely would be a clear cut victory, instead JMM deteriated, Pac got better, and the majority of neutral fans still had JMM winning.
Cool. If it isn't speculation, it's irrelevant.

Quote:
At the end of the day it depends on your definition of greatness, but for my money he probably makes a Top6 Mexican List.
Exactly what I said, but it's a shame you had to imply the Barrera and Casa victories were more impressive than they are in reality.
Addie is offline  Top