View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #110
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Hungarian boxing

I haven't been around for awhile so I thought I pop in and share some info on Hungarian boxing in case anyone's interested. Thing is, there's not much to say. Pro boxing is in a serious decline here. Most Hungarian boxers are now either journeymen or inactive.

Universum's current situation affected badly the guys who were in contract with them.

Balzsay is trying to get back to the elite after losing two consecutive fights. He beat French journeyman Aziz Daari in July and will probably fight once more this year but the opponent is not known just yet.

Zsolt Bedák hasn't fought since his defeat against Wilfredo Vazquez Jr which took place in May and there's no news on him.

His younger brother Pál Bedák has disappeared too, he started well (8-0-0 5KO) but he hasn't fought since May either.

There's one upcoming prospect who's done beautifully so far: Gábor Vető. He's a huge talent, he's 19-0-0 (14KO) and holds the WBC youth lightweight title.

Erdei after breaking up with Universum is now trying to arrange two or three more fights, this time in the US. He now has a contract with journalist/manager Greg Leon (publisher of the site that talks about boxing ). They said they want a warm-up type of fight in December and then one or two big fights next year then he'll retire.

Finally, Hungary's former no1 promoter Félix Rácz announced that he's coming back to the business first as a manager; later as a promoter. He's been out of the game for 4 years, now he signed middleweight prospect István Szili.
Darien is offline  Top