Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
Words
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: You Poms need to fire up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgal7414
Hatton has at least as good a chance of taking out the December bout as Mayweather. Possibly better than evens.

IMO, irrespective of how fit Mayweather is, fighting on the backfoot with your opponent on your chest for 36 minutes is tough going. If Mayweather fights Hatton in the same fashion as he has done every other opponent for the past five years, he will lose early rounds due to Hatton's superior activity and be drained - which takes away his precision and power- for the later rounds.

For Mayweather to win, he must be far more active, which brings Hatton even further into the fight. Hatton's footspeed will ensure that he is always on top of Floyd and if Floyd opens up, he will get outdone on the inside. Hatton is simply better at it. Though Hatton may get caught on coming in several times, he has proven he can work through a good shot. Hatton is an incredibly good chance in this fight.

What befuddles me somewhat though, is how many of you Poms 'pay homage' to Mayweather's 'greatness' on the infantile general forums. I constantly read such statements as, 'I expect Floyd to win, but Hatton to make a good account of himself.' Whilst you at least you never sound like braggarts, Poms always tend to overrate their opponents. IMO it is why you are often not as successful as sport as you should be. Mayweather is incredibly good, but hardly on another level to Hatton. Have a little more faith in your man!
Couldn't agree more. If Floyd fights negative, which I'm assuming he will, he'll lose rounds purely because he's being outworked by Ricky. He will undoubtable land flashy looking combo's now and then, but unless he can sustain it like Hatton he will lose rounds.

I feel that Hatton will charging in and putting Floyd under serious pressure, and that unless Floyd engages Hatton and hurts him, winning his respect at some point, then he will see the fight run away with him, just as you described. He wont be able to sit on the ropes and slip out of harms way indefinitely, and he certainly cant win the fight doing just that. He has to fight at some point, and the scary thing here is that although that suits Hatton's style more, Floyd is still an awesome offensive fighter. Fast hands, excellent combinations, and with some degree of power even at 147lbs.

Floyd likes to coast and be economical with his punches, and he has fought that way over all his last 3 or 4 fights. Against guys like De La Hoya, who is totally flatfooted and doesn't throw many punches, that style works great because he can catch the judges eye with a sharp counter here or there and steal the round. He rarely punishes or dominates guys for a full 3 minutes. The last time I saw him do that was against Gatti, and lets be fair Gatti even in his prime was never in floyd's league, let alone after so many wars. Floyd has to match Hatton's level of activity and not try too hard to be a counter-pucnher, otherwise his poor workrate will make him drop rounds to a fighter who is, in terms of skills, inferior. We've all seen it happen. Boxing isn't just about who's got the most skills or who's the most slippery, if it were Chris Byrd would be heavyweight champion.

All I can say is that Hatton's tenacious style and aggression will cause Floyd more problems than most people are anticipating.
Words is offline  Top