View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #33
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Evander Holyfield vs Lennox Lewis in their primes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
Lefty you know my feelings when it comes to Bowe-Lewis, yes I really believe Bowe wanted no part of him.

Newman wanted a deal of 90-10 in Bowes favour, when Lewis beat Ruddock he becomes the mandatory and under WBC rules was entitled to 33%, a huge shift but still a big payday for Bowe. Fact is even with King in the frame and his WBC influence he was NEVER going to get a piece of Bowe along as Lewis was in the picture.

However, if Bowe was up for it and the fight happened we would have had one of the HW great fights no doubt elevating both men in everyone's eyes. Whoever won I'm pretty sure we'd have seen II & possibly III brilliant fights.

Newman played his part but at any point had Bowe said "I want Lewis" the fight would have happened, what choice would Newman have?

I agree to an extent, although I can also see why Bowe took Newman's advice. There is an article on Sports illustrated detailing what Newman did for Bowe, which essentially take him and his family out of the projects, although I guess that is no excuse, what ever case maybe, it seems Lewis, at that particular time, wanted the fight more than Bowe, otherwise he might of just overruled Newman, its his career at the end of the day.
gooners!! is offline  Top