Old 07-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #11
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238
Default Re: Thomas Hearns v.s Roy Jones Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
I think Jones would face more danger style wise vs Hearns than against Hagler and Monzon. Jones for once would be facing someone with similar handspeed. Hearns at his best was never outboxed. He has the jab, reach, speed and power to give Roy the chin check we all would have liked to have seen at 160. Can he survive it? I like Hearns by KO, i think he gets to Jones first.
Agreed on the styles thing, though i think in this fight, Jones by TKO is the more likely outcome.

For one because he never showed chin problems at 160-168, including 24 rounds against fine technicians and much bigger men than Hearns in Toney and Hopkins. Now i do think Hearns punches harder than those two, but still...

Jones was monstrous puncher at middleweight, i think the only ones who were able to go the distance with him were Jones and Hopkins who both have iron chins and have never been stopped and were rarely down.

In other words, Roy may be able to take some of Hearns' punches whereas it's a virtual certainty that Hearns is out of the fight when Jones lands good shots. I will take my chances with Roy here.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top