Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #43
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: You have to KO Andre Ward to have a chance in OAKLAND

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
Referee Jack Reiss admitted that he saw Ward hit Kessler with 5 head butts. He claimed he did not take action because he thought they were accidental. The rules do not allow the referee to stand idle and do nothing just because he thinks a head butt is accidental. Reiss is an experienced ref who no doubt knows exactly what the rules are.

If the ref thinks a head butt is intentional, he can take a point without a warning, and he has the ability to take two points instead of one if he thinks it was particularly malicious.

In the case of accidental head butts the ref is suppose to issue a couple of verbal warnings. If it continues, take a poiint. If the fighter does not behave, take two points, and then a disqualifiaction.

Based on what Reiss admitted that he saw with his own eyes he should have disqualified Ward in the Kessler fight.

In the Adamek/Arreola fight Reiss did an outstanding job. In the Ward/Kessler fight he turned a blind eye to at least a dozen fouls. I wonder why?
I don't really see what you would propose that Ward do differently, he is an inside fighter in some instances, do they not tell fighters to "protect themselves at all times" prior to releasing them back to their corners? I watched ward on multiple occassions Saturday night, defending himself from a clash of heads, Kesslar could have done this if their styles were going to make this an issue. When you fight close, things happen, but to somehow act as if Ward "fouled" the man is a biased take. He beat his ass convincingly, I don't know why you would want to take anything away from a kid who has invested so much into his craft, it doesn't make any sense to me. He beat the **** out of Kesslar, with or without the clashing of heads, he still beat the living dog**** out of him...is there any denying that?
Reppin501 is offline  Top