View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
ESB Full Member
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 434
vCash: 1000
Default - New Articles Online

Jack Arnfield’s impressive start to his professional career continued on Saturday with a methodical points win over the hilarious Ben Hudson.
Tall and rangy, Arnfield out boxed Cambridge’s Catweazle throughout, scoring a unanimous victory over the portly pugilist.

Jack’s record now stands at 3-0, and he has great potential. At over 6ft tall he is huge for a light-middleweight and has the potential to step up in the future, but for now he plans to concentrate on learning the trade and improving his style.

Hudson did very little over the four rounds. He can take a punch and was entertaining for the fans but he is hugely overweight and came to survive. The odd looping right hand landed but nothing troubled the young prospect from blackpool, whose jab peppered Hudson’s bearded chins throughout.

Another quickly improving fighter is 25-year-old super bantamweight Mark Moran. Weighing 8st 11lbs, he dominated game Iordan Vasiliev, confusing the Bulgarian with his impressive hand speed.

The visitor (2-5) landed several hooks and his come-forward style provided Mark with a test, but the unbeaten Liverpudlian (8-0-1) got down to business straight away with rapid jabs and hooks of his own.
He was quicker to the punch and decked Vasiliev with a crippling body shot in the third. Vasiliev got up but went down again soon after when Moran backed him up and punished him with another lft to the body.
This time, it was all over.

Another VIP winner on the night was Barnsley stylist Gary Sykes.
‘Five Star’ got the better of Wolverhampton’s Carl Allen over six rounds in this lightweight contest, his jab and quickness proving too much on the night.

Every round was pretty similar, with Sykes dipping in and out, tattooing the durable Allen - who was contesting his 86th fight - with fast right hands, though none really had the desired impact.

Sykes does everything well and this was a fair performance. He perhaps just needs to show a little more devil in his work. Referee Phil Edwards agreed, offering Gary a clear 60-54 points victory.

ALI Nuumbembe suffered a huge setback in his bid for a world title shot in losing his Commonwealth welterweight title to gritty Clayton's Craig Watson at Wigan’s Robin Park Centre on Saturday night. Ali was cut badly in the third round after a clash of heads on the inside and left with a gaping slice across his left eye.

Until then he had enjoyed plenty of success behind the jab, though Watson had his moments thanks to a succession of strong left hooks.
A lot of his work was on the referee's blind side however, including head work that opened the wound up even further.

Ali stalked throughout and was by far the more aggressive of the two, he won the fourth with a composed jab but the cut ruined any chance he had of defending the belt.

Craig targeted the area with right jabs. His in-out style was negative but did the job as Ali could do little to prevent a gap opening up on the scorecards.

Watson took the fifth and sixth courtesy of a succession of right hands, yet the Namibian kept coming, his bravery impressing everyone in attendance.

The referee finally called an end to the fight after 24 seconds of the ninth round. Nuumbembe - whose record now stands at 18-3 - looked heartbroken, but has vowed to come back strong and hopes for a rematch next year.

Big thanks to Martin Williams for these
stegsie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote