View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #157
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Can Anderson Silva surpass fedor as the greatest ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (PimpThaSystem) View Post
You say Dan only lost to the very top guys? You must be forgetting about Misaki and all the other fighters like Kondo, Bustamante, and Ninja that Dan arguably lost to but recieved a decision over.

The absurdity of your argument can be summed up by the fact that you think Dan was peak in 06 when he arguably lost to Kazuo Misaki twice and looked like **** doing so, but was past it in 07 when he knocked out Wand and took the top LHW in world to an extremely close decision.

Your claims that Hendo's reduced use of wrestling and depleted stamina are evidence of him being past peak are unsubstantiated because Dan used his wrestling in all his UFC fights save one (how is getting a takedown not making a concerted effort to outwrestle someone?) and his gastank has never been the best.

Hendo has always been a fighter that show up big for some fights and not so big in others. Yeah sometimes you can quantify a fighters peak years but to say Dan was a different fighter in 06 than he was in 07 is a ridiculous argument.
I think you are either 12 years old, or just a bit simple.

Saying someone's peak years were 2001-2006 is not the same as saying "Dan Henderson was PEAK in '06 but SHOT in '07".

The periods where fighters are green, pre-prime, prime, past-prime, shot, etc are not black and white, no-one is saying they are.

But every fighter has a peak, that's an obvious fact of being a fighter. And every fighter declines with age, that's another fact.

If I had to say when Hendo was the best he ever was, I'd say it was in the midst of his Pride era, when he won the GP and was only beaten by serious top guys.

Now, I don't think he uses his wrestling as much and relies on power-punching instead (and I know that the vast majority of Hendo fans would agree) and I think his stamina has declined in recent years (and I know that the vast majority of Hendo fans would agree on that one as well).

And FFS, if a decorated wrestler scores one takedown in a 5-round fight, how the hell is that making a concerted effort to outgrapple someone??! If a boxer lands one punch in a 5-round fight, has he been making a concerted effort to outbox someone?! This point is just too dumb to even debate.

You think the Hendo who had to go life and death with Rich Franklin at 205 was as good as any other version of Hendo ever? Good for you man. Good for you!
Kittikasem is offline  Top