View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #159
(PimpThaSystem)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can Anderson Silva surpass fedor as the greatest ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
I think you are either 12 years old, or just a bit simple.

Saying someone's peak years were 2001-2006 is not the same as saying "Dan Henderson was PEAK in '06 but SHOT in '07".

The periods where fighters are green, pre-prime, prime, past-prime, shot, etc are not black and white, no-one is saying they are.

But every fighter has a peak, that's an obvious fact of being a fighter. And every fighter declines with age, that's another fact.

If I had to say when Hendo was the best he ever was, I'd say it was in the midst of his Pride era, when he won the GP and was only beaten by serious top guys.

Now, I don't think he uses his wrestling as much and relies on power-punching instead (and I know that the vast majority of Hendo fans would agree) and I think his stamina has declined in recent years (and I know that the vast majority of Hendo fans would agree on that one as well).

And FFS, if a decorated wrestler scores one takedown in a 5-round fight, how the hell is that making a concerted effort to outgrapple someone??! If a boxer lands one punch in a 5-round fight, has he been making a concerted effort to outbox someone?! This point is just too dumb to even debate.

You think the Hendo who had to go life and death with Rich Franklin at 205 was as good as any other version of Hendo ever? Good for you man. Good for you!

Something tells me you severely overestimate your own intellect.

Of course saying Dan's peak years were 2001-2006 is not the same as saying "Dan Henderson was PEAK in '06 but SHOT in '07". I never implied it was. My question is why do you consider 06 a peak year for Dan when he lost to Misaki (arguably twice), looked lackluster against Belfort, and had far better performances against top competition in 07?

You keep saying 01-06 was Dan's prime when he won the WW GP and only lost to top comp, but that last part is completely misleading. Dan lost to Misaki and had a couple of decisions against mid-tier opponents that could of easily went the other way. Although you forget these fights, you constantly cite the competitiveness of Franklin/Hendo as evidence for Dan being past prime in 09 despite Dan looking better in that fight than he did against, say, Misaki or Kondo in Pride.

Speaking of Hendo/Franklin, Dan took Franklin down 4 times out of 6 attempts. Not really consistent with your little "one takedown per 5 round fight" argument. Besides, you make it sound like Dan was a takedown machine in Pride and never stood with anyone ever. The truth, of course, is that Dan utilized his wrestling in Pride more or less the same way he did in UFC.
(PimpThaSystem) is offline  Top