View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 AM   #57
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Will Cotto finish his career with a better resume then Mayweather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg0208
Yes, but lets be realistic.

Baldomir, Gatti, and Ndou were certainly on the same level as the fighters that Cotto has already beaten. Ndou is certainly every bit as good (or was) and was higher ranked than most of the fighters Cotto has fought. We are judging PBF by a different standard than Cotto.

The original question is can he pass PBF. I answered he certainly has a shot.

However, Nova says that Cotto has fought great opposition. I don't believe he has and that's entirely different than what the thread starter asked, which is what the post you quoted is addressing. He has fought some good fighters, but no great ones. And we aren't sure how good those fighters are. Malignaggi, Maussa, etc.....compare them to Gatti, Baldomir, etc. They are at the very least equal, and probably favor PBF a bit considering that Baldomir beat Cotto's best win so far. In other words, they can't "blow it" for PBF's resume, but the same level fighter enhances Cotto's.
What I was pointing out though is that when Floyd was at the point that Cotto is now, he basically went backwards by fighting the guys I mentioned, instead of looking for the best fights available. Cotto has moved forward or at least tried to with every fight, which is why I think he can surpass floyd. I am not saying Cottos opponents are better (because they aren't), just that floyd as the p4p no.1 should have fought better guys while on top then what he has done. You are right though in that my original intention for the thread was to speculate, as floyd has the better resume currently no question.
MSTR is offline  Top