View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
highguard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
Hypertrophy (building muscle)work like reps of 8-12 with short rest like <1 build muscle, that's why body builders do it that way. Arnold used to do 5 sets of 12 reps with 30 sec rest. This makes you huge and stiff like the old timers say. I agree, all the dudes I see like this are mad slow. Look at the MMA guys with amazing physiques, slow as shit.

One the other hand, you can do 1-5 reps of heavy weight, with long rests up to 5 mins, and that emphasizes neurological adaptations (neural drive), this type of work was suggested by Dr. Tudor Bumpa(invented periodization training for elite athletes) for boxers, and martial artists because of its relationship with explosive power.

That's what I have read and saw, me personally, I love body weight work and don't lift anymore. Lifting messes with my joints, and I feel much slower when I do it, and the body weight stuff doesn't do this. Also, all the all time fighters I really prefer to watch didn't lift and they were way more exciting and skilled, so whatever they did I try to emulate.

hmm well
whole method of lifting heavy weights and getting cold between sets
can lead to a lot of injuries

this is why guys do sets
1-lightest
2 heavier
3 heaviest
4 back to light or even heavy depending of your goals

but the tested system is there to prevent injuries

and if you lift proper it actually helps the joints
and if you talk about old bodybulders,
well not discuss old boxers many of whom like have the fat roberto duran look going for them hahaha

also mma guys some are slow and some are not,
also just guys the punches slow does not mean he slow in general

example a lot of guys who wrestle punch slow
but when it comes to grabbing, they are as fast as a cat
highguard is offline  Top