View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #25
Bonkers
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminentair View Post
It seems to me that strength and conditioning practices are moving forward at tremendous rate. Particuarly, MMA coaches have show willingness to learn from athletes from others sports and seem open to try anything that could improve the performance of their althletes. 100m sprinters and NBA players are also benefiting from more scientific athletic training. (including both heavy and light resistance training)

Boxing, however, is a sport steeped in history and tradition with many fighters and trainers alike, staying loyal to old-school methods and remaining fearfull of resistance training. This is not a suprise considering that early weight training techniques that boxers had adopted were largely borrowed from bodybuilding. Boxers would lift heavy loads at a slow velocity. This is not going to produce good results for a fighter.

A more suitable program would consist of lifting medium-heavy loads and lighters loads but focusing on the velocity of the movement as opposed to the actual amount of resistance.

I feel boxing is becoming left behind in terms of producing the best possible athletes, and this may possibly be because of its unwillingness to welcome change.

Please show me an example of great boxers that lift weights in mid-heavy range you are talking about. Look at the link with Frank Bruno and Mike Tyson. Mike says it...

-Shane Mosley started lifting when he went to WW and JMW, and he looked like **** as a result. When he was a lightweight, fast, powerful, great endurance)
-Early Tyson didn't do weights except shrugs, and he was faster, and much better. When he came out of prison and fought Lewis he did lift and weighed even 20lbs more than in his prime and his speed was effected badly.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/ty...1988-a-276738/

-ODH when he was in his prime didn't lift and he was very good(I don't remember the name of his best trainer, too many to recall).
-Pavlik vs Martenez he used a Physical Therapist and looked like **** slower and way worse. But when he was doing old school ****, he looked way better.
-Winky Wright started using all kinds of gadgets and trainers, and started to look terrible, I don't know what he was doing before that though.

-BHOP doesn't lift weights all old school **** as the main course. Then some new **** to augment it.
-Lennox Lewis said he doesn't think weight lifting works if I remember on Boxing after dark.
Bonkers is offline  Top