View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #59
aramini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

I'm going to post my personal experience with it, but keep in mind this is just me. I was a fast little kid, running a few miles a week would easily have kept me down near 115 lbs or less if I didn't make an effort to keep muscle on by eating/ cheating on cardio at that time. figting at 118 I was always fast, but I didn't feel that strong or impact resistant. So I took some time off, lifted, gained a little muscle to about 125-128 lbs, and still felt quick, felt more punch resistant, had endurance, and felt stronger than most of the guys at the weight. At that weight I was lifting regularly, just stopping two weeks before any competition.

Fought that way (ams only) for a few years. Then I was training in the gym with a good workout partner without really competing, and I felt very strong, was doing so much weight stuff, never felt limited, and my weight never really got above 130. Then I left all that when I had a travelling job with my wife's family, couldn't work out in the gym, couldn't lift, but I had a fresh supply of blue collar illegal mexicans to spar with on our set up crew for three years. there was no lifting, but I was so much faster than those guys, I felt like lightning. then I quit, visited my old sparring partner and destroyed him with my speed, he said I seemed faster than ever. At that time I had gotten fatter and was about 136 lbs, but felt just as quick.

I went back to lifting, and about four months after that I saw one of the guys I had sparred from my old job, who I had outsped so easily even though he was young and pretty fast. When we squared up, I realized two things: I wasn't quicker than him anymore after just three or four months of lifting. I saw the openings, I had my foot speed to control range, but my upperbody mechanics were simply not responding as well.

I know for a fact it wasn't years off, I had an easier time with my old experienced boxing sparring partner with three years away from lifting or serious training than I ever did when we were working out together, and then just a few months later struggled to out-time a guy I had always been faster than, because the lifting really had bound me up, and I needed to use timing and strength in the session to dominate.

So you can still be fast with lifting, but I do think it can SIGNIFICANTLY decrease reaction time and increases oxygen requirements, especially if you are a guy who relies on his speed.
aramini is offline  Top