View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Weight Training - is there any point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00logan View Post
Nice quick feedback there thanks.

I understand gaining a shed load of muscle is a massive disadvantage in boxing, and that is something I am not looking to do, I am not going for the "sted ed" look.

I have plenty of friends who are on the gear and they cant punch, have 0 stamina, no agility nothing,but can lift silly amounts of weight, that is not what I am aiming for.

but what I am looking to do is be strong at my weight, explosive, and I want to have some shape/size (nothing that would be a hindrance). I am pretty strong now but dont really "look" it if that makes sense.

Also I think I have stopped growing height wise since im 22 lol, and have been the same height forawhile.
If you're 22 then a strength training program is perfect for you. Most of your gains should go to your legs and back though, and it'll be slow gains if you do it right.

The boxing you do is going to prevent your arms and chest from getting gigantic, but your shoulders and lats can get a lot bigger which is going to make you look significantly less scrawny.

There's a few guys on here with fitness credentials so I'll leave the tweaking of your program to them, but yeah, given your age I'd say go for it. For some reason I pictured a 15yr old kid lol.

Be careful about how much weight you gain, though. At 5'8 you probably don't want to go much higher than 155 unless you're a gifted power puncher.
KillSomething is offline  Top