View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #31
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 0
Default Re: Weight Training - is there any point?

See, I'M a skinny weakling. I was 145 when I graduated...AFTER about a year of strength training (gained maybe a pound a month or so). But I was athletic. Throughout 4 years of college I put on some muscle weight from various forms of training, but I'm still 'skinny'. If I got down to a decent bodyfat% my arms would look ridiculous. But I can hit hard, I can take punches, and I have a good level of athleticism despite not being a guy who walks around with his sleeves cut off. So for me, I look to get even skinnier. If I can hurt guys at my current weight, I can definitely hurt guys smaller than me. Just have to be careful not to overtrain and undernourish my body. But I have no problem going through life looking like nothing.

One of the hardest punchers I've ever held mitts for was a SKINNY guy (about 5'10, 130). Not even a fighter, just there to train. I would have NEVER wanted him to gain weight. What's the point? He was a gifted puncher as he was, why not just hone the skills and rip those little guys heads off? Who cares if people weren't scared at the sight of him? Better to be underestimated.

I know some other guys who are skinny weaklings, but not athletic ones. These are the guys who never play sports, eat once a day (chips and soda), read comic books, play video games, don't brush their teeth, etc.

These are the guys you want to bulk up. They were never intended to be that way. But then again, why are they boxing? They need to take up a general fitness program before they even think about becoming an athlete. But a guy who's healthy at his weight and can perform athletically despite not being very muscular might be better off using his natural gifts rather than trying to get new ones. Reinforce success rather than failure. Weak hitter, but fast? Use your speed, train your speed, learn how to win with it. Don't waste your energy trying to become a puncher. All you do is make yourself mediocre in the end. Better to excel in a few aspects than be average in all of them.

A skinny guy is not always weak, a big guy is not always strong.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Sponsored Links