Old 06-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #10
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Simple sparring question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonLPC View Post
I spar 6-7 rds 2-3 times per week. What do top amateurs and or pros spar typically during a camp?
at what level are you competing? and how many rounds for what duration are you competing?

coming from the conditioning standpoint, i can knock off 1/3 (33%) before i start to flirt with detraining. so i take the variables of time & intensity and apply those. if you're an amateur competitor going 3rdx3min then i would suggest either:

1. 4rds x 3min on the regular, then knock it down to 3 x 3 two weeks prior to major competitions to peak

2. 3rds x 4 min on the regular, then knock it down to 3 x 3 two weeks prior to major competitions to peak

the issue with adding more rounds is that intensity will decrease as duration increases. that's a major problem i find here in the United States; boxers and coaches both so appreciate a slower, banging pro style so they push for more rounds. think about how you want to perform for competition and push yourself for 25% more. if you want to get more work in then get your coach a "counter" and push for a greater punch output every round ... for 4 rds.

if you happen to be recreational then go for as many rounds as you can + one. have fun. that's what you're there for, right?
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top