Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #1
xrxpapi12

vCash: 500
Default how not to fall for feints?

so i could research all the info I want on how to be skillful in the art of feinting, but what about the other side of the coin? how do you make sure not to fall for feints too much?
xrxpapi12 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: how not to fall for feints?

my trainer tells me just to counter all the time, so your pretty much always safe. if you're quick and you counter going forward and his feints are large then you will catch him anyway. make him respect you.

my trainer just tells me, throw all the time when you are in range, throw when he's not throwing, throw when he's feinting and when he throws, throw more that him. then move out.
furor celtica is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2011, 03:51 AM   #3
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

You need to be a good liar. A lot of experience reading and predicting opponents reactions so you can exploit them. Put pressure on the opponant if you call his bluffs. Many rounds of sparring and practicing good technique. Most feints revolve around the jab, when you're shadow boxing you can practice setting up a feints by jerking your bodys movements into a punch without throwing, then add surprise punches.

Even if you train train train, the most unpredictable punches can come from wild fighters with little control, their strength is their weakness I guess so be careful trying to feint those guys.

Last edited by thejokerswild; 06-24-2011 at 04:07 AM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
The Arm Swing
Advance slowly, allowing the left arm to swing free. If the arm is held loose and relaxed, on each foreword movement of the left foot, the left arm will swing slightly to the rear and then forward. This action is produced entirely by the movement of the body, but gives the impression that the left hand is being extended.

The Knee Feint
While advancing slowly, quickly bend the left knee. This gives the impression that the arms are moving as well as the legs. In reality, the arms are entirely relaxed and ready.

The Body Drop
Make a quick forward bend of the upper body, at the same time bending the left knee and moving the left hand slightly forward.

The Side Bend
While advancing slowly, drop the body to the right and forward, creating the impression that a right hand lead is about to be executed.

ARM FEINTS
These feints are more specific than those described as body feints, and can be used to obtain a specific result.

The Up-Down Feint
Means feinting a left to the chin, and then to the body, or feinting a blow to the body or the chin with the right hand, without follow-up action. Such feints are used to ascertain how the opponent reacts, and to establish plans to the further use of the feint.

The Draw-Back Feint
This is a right hand feint using the same principle as in frightening an animal. (Think of raising a club above your head, or drawing a rolled up newspaper back.) This is done by drawing the arm back as if to strike, rather than in a striking movement itself. To execute, drop the weight back to the right foot, and draw the right hand back, as if to deliver a hard right hand blow. (Side Note: Following this idea, alternatively one may draw their left hand back as to convey that one is preparing to throw a left hook.)

The Shift Feint
This too is a right hand feint to the chin, using a striking motion to “fake out” the opponent. Shift the weight forward over the left foot, raising the right elbow slightly. Turn the right hip to the center line as if to strike with the right hand. A hard hook to the chin can be delivered off of this feint.

SPECIFIC ARM FEINTS
-Feint a left jab to the chin and then drive a straight left to the solar plexus.
-Feint a left jab to the solar plexus and then step in with a left jab to the chin.
-Feint a left jab to the chin, shift the weight to the right foot, and feint a right to the chin. Then step forward with a left jab to the chin.
-Feint a straight right to the jaw, and throw a left hook to the body.
-Feint a jab to the chin and deliver a right uppercut to the body.
-Feint a jab to the chin and deliver a hard right uppercut to the body.
-Step forward with the left foot, as in the quick advance, and jab without hitting the opponent. From this close position, pull the left arm back to position, and jab to the chin.

Coaching Hints
1.Always “build-up” an opening before making use of it.
2.Feints must be precise of action, rapid and decisive.
3.Each feint will bring a characteristic reaction, which should be known before the feint is made. This means practice.
4.Never use the same feint more than twice in a row. Change is all important.
Hope this helps
Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
wayneflint
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

If your defence is ok then your layers will take care of any feints and shots that may come after them.
wayneflint is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
badr_hari
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 748

great post thejokerswild
badr_hari is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

I honestly think this is an experience thing. You spar lots and lots of rounds and you get as many contests under your belt and you start to see this beter. Difficult to explain.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
BagsWithDust
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
I honestly think this is an experience thing. You spar lots and lots of rounds and you get as many contests under your belt and you start to see this beter. Difficult to explain.
yah i agree. i dont think there is anyway to not fall for feints at an early stage of boxing. It just comes down to experience.
BagsWithDust is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
karatekid530
Milwaukee's Best
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
Agreed. If there was an easy trick to figuring it out then nobody would fall for feints and they'd be completely useless, which is obviously not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrxpapi12 View Post
so i could research all the info I want on how to be skillful in the art of feinting, but what about the other side of the coin? how do you make sure not to fall for feints too much?
Maybe you could talk to your coach or more experienced guys at the gym and have them spar a few rounds with you every session for a while, focusing on different kinds of feints so you can be exposed to them and start to learn what to look for and how to properly react to them. It's an experience thing so the sooner you're exposed to them the better IMO, and it'll keep you from developing your own, potentially bad, habits and reactions to feints.
karatekid530 is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Feints only matter if he can reach you (range), you can't beat him to the punch (speed), or you can't counter (timing). Falling for feints is a deficiency within yourself.

If your opponent is out of range to harm you, how can he feint you? The only way he can is because you don't know when you are or aren't in danger of being reached. If you are in range? You fire. If you have no intention of firing? Be out of range. If you are biting on feints you don't know where you are.

If you know the guy is too fast for you to counter, how can he feint you? He is too fast. You shouldn't be trying to counter so therefore should be ignoring feints. Get to him and THROW. You will eat shots closing distance so if he wants to waste his time feinting? One less shot for you to take. Don't stop throwing until he escapes. Walk him down and repeat.

If you can't time the guy, how can he feint you? You know if you throw one shot he will get you. So same as above.

Last edited by bald_head_slick; 06-24-2011 at 07:55 PM.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you're new and falling for feints it can be due to being too wound up and not relaxed enough. Try and take more control your reactions.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
xrxpapi12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
Feints only matter if he can reach you (range), you can't beat him to the punch (speed), or you can't counter (timing). Falling for feints is a deficiency within yourself.

If your opponent is out of range to harm you, how can he feint you? The only way he can is because you don't know when you are or aren't in danger of being reached. If you are in range? You fire. If you have no intention of firing? Be out of range. If you are biting on feints you don't know where you are.

If you know the guy is too fast for you to counter, how can he feint you? He is too fast. You shouldn't be trying to counter so therefore should be ignoring feints. Get to him and THROW. You will eat shots closing distance so if he wants to waste his time feinting? One less shot for you to take. Don't stop throwing until he escapes. Walk him down and repeat.

If you can't time the guy, how can he feint you? You know if you throw one shot he will get you. So same as above.
Ahhh I see, self awareness of the spacing between me and my opponent. Obviously would take lots of sparring to be much less likely to fall for it, but helps me understand better, good post.
xrxpapi12 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
tim851
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

You react to feints by ignoring that they exist.

A feint is just a punch your opponent didn't throw. No hurt, no points.

Anything bad that came out of falling for a feint could just as well have happened if your opponent threw an actual punch.

You have the slick counterpuncher type like Roy Jones, who is quick and crafty and tries to get a guy to commit to his feints. But as bald_head_slick correctly said, when you're outslicked, falling for feints is the least of your problems.
tim851 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Journey Man
Journeyman always.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 137

As long as your covered up and in the correct stance, a feint shouldnt bother you too much. A feint is there to gain a reaction and if you dont react then he gets nothing from it and you get a counter window, feints are always going to be oppenent based, once you've felt them out (no homo) you should know what they look like when they throw a punch and when they dont. Its all about being relaxed.
Journey Man is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #15
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Learn to slip/parry/block punches at the very last instant, right before the punch is in your face. You will be able to time it better.

AND, you will have more time to find out if it's just a feint.

Another thing to do is to always practice slipping for more than just one shot. Always slip at least twice. That way, if its a feint, you are already starting to slip the second shot automatically.

And always remember to counter!!!
boxbible is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing