boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #16
joe33

vCash:
Default Re: Stanley Ketchel against the ATG's

Was he not shot in the back eating a meal by a angry hubbie of a wife he was knocking at the time,quite young to i think,is that right?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw417
Harry Greb, Ray Robinson,Marvin Hagler and Carlos Monzon...The best middleweight champions of all time...Each would problably be favored over the 'Michigan Assassin'...But borrowing a theme from another thread, how would each do in Stanley's era? We always match the old timers in a modern setting...We look at Ketchel and say he is so crude,so primitive...He could not possibly be a factor in today's arena...That may be true...
But Ketchel is extremely well suited for his time,and that is a certainty!
Ray Robinson once said after recapturing the middleweight title back from Basilio, "I feel like I've been beat up by twenty people." A reporter then stated, "Basilio said that he felt great, and he could go another fifteen."
"Well" Robinson said...."He can do them without me!"
Marvin Hagler during his first championship fight against Vito Antufermo, boxed very well inthe early rounds...building a big lead on the cards...But as the bout wore on, Hagler let up on the pace he had set...Allowing Antufermo the chance to rally...Hagler was thinking about the fifteen round distance...
Harry Greb, the rough, tumble fighter with the incredible stamina, and the whirlwind ferocity according to the reports...was a terror for the fifteen round limit...
Carlos Monzon the calculating, dominating middleweight champion who always was in command of his fights...dictating tempo and progression of each fight...Masterfully pacing himself for the fifteen round limit....
But what if each of them heard the bell for round....16...17...18...19...20...21...What a taxing, hellish ordeal it would have been...
For 25 rounds, how would each of the greats deal with a fighter who came at them for 25 rounds? Throwing his entire body weight behind each blow, clutching and grappling for position with the liberal rule set of the day...Stanley was a ferocious fighter with an incredible capacity to receive and give punishment...Nat Fleisher said Ketchel was the best...Could Stanley prove it in his own era?
Opinions please!
Good post
teeto is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2008, 11:35 PM   #18
Arminius
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe33
Was he not shot in the back eating a meal by a angry hubbie of a wife he was knocking at the time,quite young to i think,is that right?
That is exactly what happenned. The wife told the husband Ketchell ****d her when the husband found hickeys on her neck. But the wife was trying to hook up with Ketchell to get his money. Ketchell , aware of her plans, "knocked" her then through her $10 or $20, called her a ***** and told her that she and the hubie were to leave.
Arminius is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum