Old 07-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #31
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wandy looks awful at 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
That's because all those men came from DISTINCT disciplines. In addition they were far hungrier as the sport was very niche. The money the likes of Kerr and Coleman were being paid in PRIDE pales into insignificance compared with the current purses the top UFC stars make.

As iv said numerous times on this board the quality of MMA fighters is bound to diminish with time. Simply because the sport has spawned a NEW martial art. Whereas before you had fighters who reached the pinnacle of their individual disciplines. You now have a bunch of fighters who have never achieved this. And thus are average at everything rather than being great at one thing. This is to be expected as it's not possible to excel at all facets of Mixed Martial arts. The dilution of martial arts will in my eyes signal the demise of MMA.
Exactly. When I watch Frankie Edgar peppering someone with points-scoring punches, throwing in a takedown or two, and picking up the UD he strategized for, it makes me miss so much the days when Crocop tried to break bones and Fedor slipped on submissions before his opponent knew what was happening.
Popkins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #32
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Please Wandy hang em up. He looks like an extra from the Dark Crystal. Emaciated underfed and old.
He looks no different to Mike Bisping when he dropped to 185 for the first time !!!

He has had plenty of time to get the cut right , he is injury free , in theory this should be the best Wandy we have seen in 18 months

If he loses to Leben he's done , but im pretty certain he wont , he has all the intangables over Leben and will TKO him ..........
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #33
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
Exactly. When I watch Frankie Edgar peppering someone with points-scoring punches, throwing in a takedown or two, and picking up the UD he strategized for, it makes me miss so much the days when Crocop tried to break bones and Fedor slipped on submissions before his opponent knew what was happening.
It's also worth noting that CC and co fought when the rules were closer to Vale Tudo or simply Vale Tudo. The rules allowed for far tougher and gruelling fights.
Naturally in order to make the UFC more palatable the rules have been dummed down and fighters such as Edgar have taken full advantage. 10 years ago Edgar would positively have been a nobody.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum