Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #1
one in a million
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Katsidis first fight in Austrtalia...aug 13th

Shit it's been a while since I started a thread "AUSTRALIA"

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] oops wrong article..

Katsidis v Mexican Michael Lozada on Aug 13 @ the Gold Coast Convention Centre in the hope of fighting Morales next.
one in a million is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
godness

vCash: 500
Default Re: Katsidis first fight in Austrtalia...aug 13th

good on him
godness is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
one in a million
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I know

I wonder who is on the undercard?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
one in a million
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Michael Katsidis: ď(Being home with my family ) only makes this run easierĒ

By Tony Nobbs: Michael Katsidis ďThe GreatĒ says that he is proud to be bringing world class boxing back to him home state Queensland after being domiciled overseas for the past five years fighting the best lightweights on the planet.

The 30 year old former WBO interim lightweight champion (27-4, 22 koís) has had a tough time over the past eight months follwing the death of his brother Stathi and subsequent defeats to Juan Manuel Marquez and Robert Guerrero. His next battle takes place at the Gold Coast Convention Center, on August 13 when he faces Mexican Michael Lozada (38-8, 30 koís).

With a bout against three division champion Erik Morales being mooted, Team Katsidis have some bold plans but the Toowoomba Terror isnít looking too far ahead.

Now back training with mentor Brendan Smith at Smithyís Gym in Toowomba, he is a focused fighter with strong family support.

Eastside spoke to him on Friday and hereís what he had to say.

ESB: Michael, howís it feel being back fighting in Australia?

MK: Great. Itís been long awaited. Something Iíve wanted to do and now is the right time. Iíve had to work hard to get to where I am, itís been a long wait to come back. After establishing yourself on the world scene itís always exciting to bring big fights back.

ESB: Howís it been, being back and training in old but new suroundings?

MK: Iíve been back in Australia for wa hile. Ever since my brother passed away, Iíve had to get back to my family, back to my roots. With Brendan pushing me all the way in the gym Iím able to go hoome and see my baby every day. I wasnít able to see her for 3 or 4 months at a time while I was away in camp. Iíve got everything here.

ESB: What do you expect from Michael Lozada?

MK: He is a knockout fighter as his 30 koís tell you. He is to be respected. I expect him to be at his absolute best. This is my first international bout at super lightweight (he won the Australian title in 2004). It is one of the most packed divisions in the world. He is looking at me as someone who can get him back into the title picture (Lozada chllenged Edwin Valero for the WBA 130 pound title in 2007) so for now he is the only opponent on my mind.

ESB:Youíve had some memorable fights over the past 5 years. Who would you rate as your best win?

MK: Itís hard to say. Thereís been some good ones. But if I had to pick, Iíd go with Czar Amonsot. It was my foirst fight in the US. It was a tough fight, he ended up with a brain clot and I was worried, but he pulled through. Another one that stands out was Jesus Chavez, a former world champion who I beat in his backyard.

ESB: Speaking of the Amonsot fight. After, you were being hailed as the new Gatti. How did that feel?

MK: It was a great honor. But I want to be the Katsidis! I feel as if I have my great fights still to come.

ESB: Erik Morales has been mentioned as a future foe. What did you think of his bout with Marcos Maidana?

MK: It was a great performance. But I thought Maidana was overated. He had a good fight with Khan but I found him to be lazy in his style, holding his hands low. Morales is one of those Mexicanís who keeps getting greater, they work so hard and look after themselves , they can keep going. Look at Marquez. Heís 37 and heís stll one of the greatest fighters around.

ESB: Speaking of Marquez. Is he an opponent you want again?

MK: Yes. And also Cassamayor, that was my first defeat, I felt I let it get away from me in the end. I came back into the fight and got reckless.

ESB: What effect did Stathiís passing have on your performance in the Marquez fight.

MK: I was very good in that fight. I had him down. I copped a lot of hard body punches, a lot of damage and the ref stopped it. I didnít get knocked out and I feel I would have been standing at the end (of 12 rounds). Lacking that extra bit of sleep and the added pressure, probably took itís toll in the last two days but you canít make excuses. It was something I had to do. Going through that and now being back with my family only makes this run a whole lot easier
Old 07-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Best of luck to Katsids...I hope he can make the promotion work and fight here more often
ashley is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
one in a million
Belt holder
ESB Addict

True Ash...maybe Alex can fight on the undercard?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
one in a million
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 07-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by one in a million View Post
True Ash...maybe Alex can fight on the undercard?

Not this time...pretty sure Noel has a few interesting things on
ashley is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1057

Any word on ticket prices/availibilty yet????

Think i might try get to it
Super_Fly_Sam is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
one in a million
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Katsidis comeback fight on Coast

Jake Dew | June 18th, 2011

MICHAEL Katsidis will make a long-awaited return to the ring in Australia after yesterday confirming the Gold Coast would host his August 13 bout, his first on home soil since 2006.
"It's not an easy step and I'm not making it easy on myself either," said Katsidis of his fight with 27-year-old Lozada, who boasts a 38-8 record that includes 30 by knockout.
"I've still got to do the work, and being back here in Australia I'm giving myself the perfect preparation but I'm relieved that we have a date and an opponent.
"I've got a lot of hard work that needs to be done before the fight. The important thing is being able to step up to the mark on the night, and this is where the suffering begins."
While the Coast has witnessed many epic battles, luring Katsidis (27-4, 20 knockouts) is easily the biggest for boxing in the city.
The August fight also marks Katsidis' first at the junior welterweight (63kg) division.
And if the 31-year-old from Toowoomba can conquer Lozada things could get even bigger, with Katsidis and trainer Brendon Smith already in preliminary discussion with Golden Boy Productions' hall-of-famer Oscar de la Hoya to bring Erik Morales Down Under.
While Katsidis and Smith were excited to be back in Australia, GCCC entertainment and special events sales manager Paul Douglass was just as eager to bring an event with such huge international potential to the city.
And Douglass has little doubt the 5000-plus tickets would be snapped up by big fight fans eager to watch the country's best return for battle on home soil.
For more on this story and other local sport, see today's Gold Coast Bulletin.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict

vCash: 2746

I hope this flue dosent effect his training too much!

Thinking very seriously about heading up for this fight!
StiffJab is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
AdamH
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by one in a million View Post
I know

I wonder who is on the undercard?
did u not check boxrec?