Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #61
Caestus
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Best, Boxing or MMA

The video of the turkish boxer against 4 attackers resumes all.In the streets, movilty, defense, reflexes and timming are the most important.The simple, the basics are what works, not a myriade of flashy techniques.The most espectacular (in cinematograhic sense), the worst.That video, against multipla attackers, is imposible to do grappling (guys stomping at you) or kicking , very risky for the posible falls to the ground and the lack of movility ( the atckers charge at you at the same time and multiple angles while you are inmovile doing your kick).

And for the atletic capacities adquiried with the training, only say that multiple studies tell us that boxing is the most physical demanding sport in the world.The limitation to huge, grapple, and stay at the kicking range, was made for made the sport the most phisically, psycological hard posible, and to aument the number of Kos.Boxing was considered the most harder sport during the ancient greece, they reserve it for after the pankration who was similar to mma, because was more harder, blodiest and honorable and difficult to win.
Caestus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #62
Caestus
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

And kicking not only reduces your movility and compromises your balance, exposes your ***** too, not very recomended in a street fight ...xD
Caestus is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #63
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

At the risk of sounding a moron, I worked the doors for six years in a very tough town. I had well over 100 fights involving punches being exchanged and boxing never let me down. All the past like but with boxing you only ever need one window.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #64
kelics
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
To improve fitness do either. It's how hard you push yourself in your discipline, not which discipline you do. If you leave a class thinking it was too easy, it wasn't, you just didn't push yourself hard enough.
after firts MMA lesson my body was recovering for about 2 days, first day i felt like an old granda, second was a bit better. MMA is kinda cool, and you get to do everything . I know there will be a lot of arguing, but it look to me that MMA is more fun if you having it as a hubby. Although i used to hate it boxing was always no1
kelics is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #65
kelics
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Mma is amazing , but not for everyone
what do you mean by that not for everyone ?
kelics is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #66
kelics
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge View Post
Boxing training prepares you for boxing.

MMA training prepares you for fighting.

If you do boxing and you have to defend yourself against somebody who only wants to throw hands, then you are prepared well. However, if you have an altercation with an opponent who has years of some kind of grappling ability, good luck landing a single punch KO because that's probably all you are going to get. Also, you probably won't be tactically and physically prepared to fight a muay thai fighter either. MMA will give you a different kind of awareness for fighting, you'll be able to anticipate a kick and a takedown better than having only boxing experience.

Also, should you actually need fighting skills, I think submissions/grappling may work better in criminal and civil court. If you are a boxer you're pretty much limited to breaking parts of your adversary's anatomy. Your opponents lawyer or state's prosecutor will be showing photos of your knuckles, photos of your busted up opponent, even x-rays of broken ribs, broken jaw etc. Then you may be expected to pay his hospital bills.

, not necessary to brake something, cuts are fine
kelics is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #67
Aeolus
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg0 View Post
Muay thai kicks are totally useless in a street altercation. too slow, off balance and the adrenaline of a mad man will allow him to just walk through it. Knees are great if you clinch, but then hope he does not have a weapon. Elbows in close enough range are great. Still, I believe in fists the most. I appreciate your reply, to each their own.
I dont know, I cant say because I never did Muay Thai,but I got the impression that the average person wont be able to take a lot of kicks to the leg.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KMRMcVDZLE[/ame]
Aeolus is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #68
Steenalized
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 203

Just for fitness' sake, do whichever you enjoy more. I had a hard time staying in even decent shape until I found how much I love boxing. Once I had that exercise wasn't a chore and I found myself willing to make other changes (e.g. roadwork, change in diet) because I knew it would help me with boxing. If boxing does that for you, go for it. If it's MMA, basketball, whatever, do that.

If you're talking about for 'practical self-defense." Well, if you're in a street fight, don't **** around. Go for a 1 hit KO, you're not likely going to be slipping punches and working the jab. While that means much of what you learn in boxing isn't entirely practical on the street, neither is trying fight on the ground and defend from your guard. In a fight you want to end it ASAP, boxing gives you the best chance of that because I can teach you to hit as hard and effectively as possible.
Steenalized is offline  Top
Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #69
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Coolidge View Post
Boxing training prepares you for boxing.

MMA training prepares you for fighting.

If you do boxing and you have to defend yourself against somebody who only wants to throw hands, then you are prepared well. However, if you have an altercation with an opponent who has years of some kind of grappling ability, good luck landing a single punch KO because that's probably all you are going to get. Also, you probably won't be tactically and physically prepared to fight a muay thai fighter either. MMA will give you a different kind of awareness for fighting, you'll be able to anticipate a kick and a takedown better than having only boxing experience.

Also, should you actually need fighting skills, I think submissions/grappling may work better in criminal and civil court. If you are a boxer you're pretty much limited to breaking parts of your adversary's anatomy. Your opponents lawyer or state's prosecutor will be showing photos of your knuckles, photos of your busted up opponent, even x-rays of broken ribs, broken jaw etc. Then you may be expected to pay his hospital bills.
Yeah focus on taking him down so you can get kicked from the blind side and stomped by his friends.

Fighting prepares you for fighting. I agree with damn near everything else you said though.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #70
mughalmirza786
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mma would be better though if it's a 1 on 1 fight and a much larger opponent takes you down? Your average guy can't punch for **** so will look to hold and hit? Knees to the head perhaps?
mughalmirza786 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing