Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-11-2011, 06:38 PM   #106
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683
Default Re: Which fighters sub-190 pounds could beat Riddick Bowe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Against who? A hit or miss, completely inconsistent Holyfield who was considered nothing more that a placeholder in the division at the time? The same guy feigning heart problems against Michael Moorer only to be miraculously cured by Benny Hinn? And then who? Who is the second best fighter Bowe ever really beat? It's probably Pierre Coetzer or Herbie Hide. I think that speaks volumes to his true pedigree.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

understand your points on bowe but he had some decent wins over former title holders but holyfield is one of the best heavyweights ever. plus bowe more than passes the eye test when matching up during that time. to say holyfield was faking heart problems is absurd and shows what little you know about the situation. he fought moorer with "heart failure," not a hurt pinky toe. it was arguably the most courageous performances ever and i thought evander won that fight. if the judge scores the round 10-8 for holyfield when he knocked down moorer, the fight is a draw and holy retains his title.
kmac is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #107
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

understand your points on bowe but he had some decent wins over former title holders but holyfield is one of the best heavyweights ever. plus bowe more than passes the eye test when matching up during that time. to say holyfield was faking heart problems is absurd and shows what little you know about the situation. he fought moorer with "heart failure," not a hurt pinky toe. it was arguably the most courageous performances ever and i thought evander won that fight. if the judge scores the round 10-8 for holyfield when he knocked down moorer, the fight is a draw and holy retains his title.
I remember that article well. I remember the fight well. I also remember being asked to believe that Benny Hinn cured Holy of this "ailment". Excuse me if I don't buy any of it.

By the way, I also don't buy that the Mayo Clinic exams Ali passed prior to the Berbick fight were all that honest or complete.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #108
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I remember that article well. I remember the fight well. I also remember being asked to believe that Benny Hinn cured Holy of this "ailment". Excuse me if I don't buy any of it.

By the way, I also don't buy that the Mayo Clinic exams Ali passed prior to the Berbick fight were all that honest or complete.
agreed, the hinn stuff was a crock. evander being a spiritual guy probably needed that for his psyche. let the doctors do the real work and receive no credit.

ali had trouble with the mayo exams before the holmes fight. not sure if you've seen the 30 for 30 documentary on ali-holmes but it's talked about.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #109
Foreman Hook
☆☆☆ G$ora ☆☆☆
ESB Addict

vCash: 600

Rocco Marciano, overdose high off his trolley on Angel Dust!! 184lbs of pure pcp psycho, he KO's every heavy not called Foreman, Lenny or Ali.
Foreman Hook is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #110
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
agreed, the hinn stuff was a crock. evander being a spiritual guy probably needed that for his psyche. let the doctors do the real work and receive no credit.

ali had trouble with the mayo exams before the holmes fight. not sure if you've seen the 30 for 30 documentary on ali-holmes but it's talked about.
Haven't seen that but definitey will search for it. My point is, I believe very little from the doctors who are paid by boxers, promoters or commissions. Call me jaded.

To the larger question, the Bowe of the Holy trilogy was exciting and sound but he was not durable and paid the price in the near term.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #111
Quick Cash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bowe was merely following the script that got him the part in the first place. He fought as perfect a fight as could be fought given his limitations outside.

For starters, while possessing a decent jab, Bowe never would have kept Holyfield at bay with just the stick. Holyfield's proved much too good at closing the distance for so simple a strategy to succeed. Holyfield's greater experience necessitated Bowe to play to his advantages, and he claims one, clear advantage over him, that is, his greater bulk inside. Actually, Bowe's left hooks and clubbing rights invite inside fighting; his punching mechanics have always favored short range engagements.

This fact is demonstrated repeatedly in fights before and after his title-winning effort.

Take the Tubbs fights. He certainly cannot be accused of fighting stupidly in that encounter. Afterall, he did push the pace against an older fighter. And by one type of reckoning, it could be argued that Bowe outpointed the aged veteran. But perhaps the most astute determination that can be gleaned is Bowe's inability to land effective, single shots during long distance exchanges. You would think his dimensions lend to efficacy at long distances, but it just doesn't.
Quick Cash is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #112
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Well classic's still classic, that's for sure

I'm not sure i'd favour anyone at these weights over Bowe at his short best.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #113
I like Boxing

vCash:

No 190 or less fighter could beat Bowe, Lewis, Foreman, Tyson or any other great or kind of great modern size heavyweight boxer. If you think any differently then you are a idiot and should stop watching boxing.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #114
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Tunney

This is the only realistic shout, I think (although I'd still make Bowe favourite).
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 PM   #115
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
None. Bowe's performance against a prime 205lbs Evander Holyfield says to me he beats any sub-190lbs fighter ever. JMO.
Agreed....... Greats like '50 Charles or '53 Marciano are NOT gonna beat 1992 Bowe who was fit and primed at 235 pounds........

Bowe was a beast in 1991 to late 1993.......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum