Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #31
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs Late 2000's Wladimir Klitschko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Pre-Steward Wlad is going to be walking into a ton of punishment, recall the shit storm that Brewster had to endure to pressure and breakdown early Steward Wlad. And this is the guy who got sparked by McCall. Say what you will about Brewster, the man could take a hit like few could. And when you catch Steward Wlad, you get squeezed by the Octopus until he's ready to let go and reset. I think Wlad now deserves more respect than a Frank Bruno, who fell into the ropes, arms down and eyes wide with terror when he got tagged good.
Wlad still panics, even Steward questions his confidence. His 1 tactic while being attacked is to hold on that isn't going to hold up against the likes of Lewis, Lewis would be the best

Bruno could have done with Steward in his corner, alhtough I htink ultimately Steward to be overrated, he's done a good job with Wlad but he isn't teaching him anything that sophisticated

Quote:
God, this might be your greatest gem.

Lewis was a brawler who was so lazy he ended up being a boxer?

Its simplistic but Lewis was very aggressive, he prefered to go for the KO than to box, but he did box when he was cautious or when he was being lazy and he almost seemed to switch off. But in plenty of his fights he was happy to walk through punches to land his own
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #32
FJAY360
The Art Of Event Winning
ESB Addict

vCash: 187

[quote=PowerPuncher;10226007

Its simplistic but Lewis was very aggressive, he prefered to go for the KO than to box, but he did box when he was cautious or when he was being lazy and he almost seemed to switch off. But in plenty of his fights he was happy to walk through punches to land his own[/quote]
I read once that if Lewis wasn't under pressure he would be contmept with Boxing, Holyfield 1 and the Tua fight are good examples of this as both men showed a limited offence.

I can't remember a fight where if the opponent came out and attacked Lewis didn't meet them in the middle.
FJAY360 is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #33
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post

Wlad still panics

Steward to be overrated, he's done a good job with Wlad but he isn't teaching him anything that sophisticated

Its simplistic but Lewis was very aggressive
-He looked very poised to me after Haye hurt him in the 12th round and Haye did hurt him with that right. He held to shake the cobwebs as most every great did including Lewis and than wisely put the pressure back on David with one of his more aggressive offensive bursts of the fight.

-That's kind of the point, Steward isn't there to teach them complex techniques. Quite the opposite.

-Not really, and while that paragraph was much better written your way off base on Lewis I believe. Lazy fighters don't shut out their opponent with their boxing technique...seroiusly, PP are you trying to put one over on me?
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #34
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJAY360 View Post
I can't remember a fight where if the opponent came out and attacked Lewis didn't meet them in the middle.
That must be some good shit, your smoking. I recall an exhausted Holyfield laying on the ropes, dropping his gloves, and desperately begging Lennox to mix it up several times.

"Why didn't you try to knock him out, Lewis?"

"He was hurt, a man is his most dangerouse when he is hurt, definetly."
Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #35
FJAY360
The Art Of Event Winning
ESB Addict

vCash: 187

Quote:
That must be some good shit, your smoking. I recall Holyfield laying on the ropes, dropping his gloves, and desperately begging Lennox to mix it up several times.

"Why didn't you try to knock him out, Lewis?"

"He was hurt, a man is his most dangerouse when he is hurt, definetly."
In the 1st Holyfield fight yes but again Holyfield showed a very limited offence in that fight, think of fights where Lewis was put under pressure and most ended in a KO victory or at least showed a more agressive Lewis.
FJAY360 is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #36
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJAY360 View Post
In the 1st Holyfield fight yes but again Holyfield showed a very limited offence in that fight, think of fights where Lewis was put under pressure and most ended in a KO victory or at least showed a more agressive Lewis.
-You think Holyfield showed limited offense by choice or because he was completely shut out by Lewis' jab and inside smothering?

-Nah, I've seen Lewis opt to box under pressure too many times to agree with that conclusion. Lewis mixed it up against Mercer but that was because he was forced to. Now Lewis has turned pressure fighter when the situation calls for it..Vitali, Akinwande, and Grant comes to mind. Matches where it looked like he could be outboxed from a distance or was at a reach disadvantage.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 AM   #37
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Wlad showed huge improvement in his ability to clinch and fight hurt when Haye tagged him with that devastating right hand in round 12.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #38
Ponysmallhorse
Small but proud
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1419

Quote:
Wlad still panics, even Steward questions his confidence. His 1 tactic while being attacked is to hold on that isn't going to hold up against the likes of Lewis, Lewis would be the best
He didn't panic in Haye fight. So? Steward doesn't question his confidence he questions his mind set. He says that Wlad is superior athlete and he is in mindset more athlete than a fighter. He want's his fights to be Perfect runs ALL THE TIME.
Ponysmallhorse is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #39
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
-He looked very poised to me after Haye hurt him in the 12th round and Haye did hurt him with that right. He held to shake the cobwebs as most every great did including Lewis and than wisely put the pressure back on David with one of his more aggressive offensive bursts of the fight.

-That's kind of the point, Steward isn't there to teach them complex techniques. Quite the opposite.

-Not really, and while that paragraph was much better written your way off base on Lewis I believe. Lazy fighters don't shut out their opponent with their boxing technique...seroiusly, PP are you trying to put one over on me?
I thought he looked visably uncomfortable, not just hurt but uncomfortable and not just in the 12th, he resorted to holding and leaning on his opponent (rule infraction). In effect he's accepting he can't compete inside/mid range. Which is a shame as his left hook is truly great and he never uses it anymore

In some of Lennox's pre title fights (pre Rudduck) he very much switched off toying with his opponent rather than apply pressure and command the ring, Lewis has a bad habit of thinking opposition is below him and doing this, that's part of the reason for his losses
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #40
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:

-I thought he looked visably uncomfortable, not just hurt but uncomfortable and not just in the 12th,

- he resorted to holding and leaning on his opponent (rule infraction

-Which is a shame as his left hook is truly great and he never uses it anymore

-In some of Lennox's pre title fights (pre Rudduck) he very much switched off toying with his opponent rather than apply pressure and command the ring, Lewis has a bad habit of thinking opposition is below him and doing this, that's part of the reason for his losses
-He looked calm to everyone else, about as calm as a guy can look after getting buzzed by a flush right they didn't see coming. We've seen Wlad panic(Peter I and Sanders fight), we know what to look for. It just isn't there this time or has been for a while.

-Wlad did very little holding against Haye. As for the rule infraction crap, Wlad appeared to only nudge the lunging Haye down once or twice, the rest were glaring flops to buy points and save his ass when he was in position to be hit by one of them left hooks....

-Sorry, this Lennox stuff is all over the place. You originally commented he was a brawler who was so lazy he boxed, and now you are going back to pre-Ruddock generalizations to try to justify this weird statement.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #41
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
I thought he looked visably uncomfortable, not just hurt but uncomfortable and not just in the 12th, he resorted to holding and leaning on his opponent (rule infraction). In effect he's accepting he can't compete inside/mid range. Which is a shame as his left hook is truly great and he never uses it anymore

In some of Lennox's pre title fights (pre Rudduck) he very much switched off toying with his opponent rather than apply pressure and command the ring, Lewis has a bad habit of thinking opposition is below him and doing this, that's part of the reason for his losses
I agree Wlad looked uncomfortable. Perhaps his father who was on his death bead combined with the pressure not to lose ( Critics were ready to pounce if he lost ) prevented Wlad from being focused and relaxed in the ring.

Mendoza is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum