Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 07-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #16
HookMeister
Mercurial
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Thank greeny for a great career...

Hear Hear. Win or lose, I enjoyed watching you, Greeny. You gave the sport the best you had. Thanks man.
HookMeister is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #17
Shark Attack
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsosj View Post
i dont think he wants to go out on a loss, but i am a green fan and want to see him do whats best in terms of his health, he certainly doesnt need the money. I still dont understand the level of hate that he generates, sure briggs and siaca were bad fights and im sure if he could take them back he would, but he did bring massive exposure to this sport in australia and the work he has done with young boxers is incredible , im not saying you have to love the guy but he does deserve respect and some applause for his achievements, and most posters on here do give him that.

Shark Attack is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #18
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Wow Danny boy well and truly had his arse handed to him tnight by a 42 year over the hill Antonio Tarver , if any more clarification is needed to signal it is time to give it up then everytime Danny thinks about fighting again be should slip the DVD of this fight in and watch ( the thing is Tarver wasn't fighting that good and STILL raped Danny ) sure Danny can fight some also rans but what with Mundine getting KTFO by Garthy and Green in turn coping a shellacking off Tarver the pair of them have managed to **** up a massive PPV down under . Serious who would pay 50 bucks to watch that ? I would rather spend an hour listening to that **** wit that was behind the mic last night lol What's his name , not Barry but the other guy ?
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 AM   #19
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Wow Danny boy well and truly had his arse handed to him tnight by a 42 year over the hill Antonio Tarver , if any more clarification is needed to signal it is time to give it up then everytime Danny thinks about fighting again be should slip the DVD of this fight in and watch ( the thing is Tarver wasn't fighting that good and STILL raped Danny ) sure Danny can fight some also rans but what with Mundine getting KTFO by Garthy and Green in turn coping a shellacking off Tarver the pair of them have managed to **** up a massive PPV down under . Serious who would pay 50 bucks to watch that ? I would rather spend an hour listening to that **** wit that was behind the mic last night lol What's his name , not Barry but the other guy ?
Andy Raymond said some outrageous comments Josey i agree....very very mediocre commentating had this discussion with a few guys today & not even to mention about Nick Charles i thought i was poor but even worse was how blatantly 1 sided it was....imagine if this was done in other sport codes.

I also agree 100% with your bolded statement.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #20
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Tarver had to fight twice as hard as he fought v Green to beat Clinton Woods ( if that Antonio Tarver had fought Greenie it would have been done and dusted in five I reckon ) any road Danny DID bring a great fighter in Tarver and an ATG in Roy down to fight so at least a few of you guys got to see them fight live , Danny should be get props for that at least i reckon . If Danny chooses to retire then good luck to the bloke I would consider myself a fan of his .
Old 07-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #21
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Quote:
Tarver had to fight twice as hard as he fought v Green to beat Clinton Woods ( if that Antonio Tarver had fought Greenie it would have been done and dusted in five I reckon ) any road Danny DID bring a great fighter in Tarver and an ATG in Roy down to fight so at least a few of you guys got to see them fight live , Danny should be get props for that at least ,
Agreed. Someone mentioned earlier that this could be similar to tarver/Woods, and at the time it did make sense, but Tarver had a much easier time against Green, and at times the fight resembled the Mayweather/Gatti debacle.

Imagine what Dawson would have done to Green if he fought him last night, and there were a couple of guys on here saying that Green would dust Dawson.

Still, props to Green for bringing out big names to our shores. He has given boxing a bit of a kick start again, and it would be a shame if he, or someone else couldnt keep the trent flowing.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #22
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Team Green probably underestimated Antinio Tarver , they probably thought he was another guy at the very end if his career ripe for picking , WRONG Antinio couldnt miss with that left hand all night and the end was reminiscent of Zab's Chicken dance .
Old 07-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #23
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

So where to now for Green?

Can he fight at light heavy? If not, I really dont see much else for him out there. At cruiser, he cant afford to be the guy that walks through punches to hit, and hes shown that in this fight, and the Flores fight. Yet he also doesnt have the skills to fight that sort of fight and get away with it against most of the credible fighters.

A swan song against Cameron? IMO, I hate seeing guys ending their career with a gimme win. It doesnt prove much, and I dont really care about the "saying goodbye to the fans, etc" you can do that some other way.

For mine, it'd be a Tarver rematch or retire, as I dont see much else out there.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #24
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Did Danny fight to his full ability v Tarver ? if as I suspect he only was ALLOWED to fight like that v a slippery old vet like Antonio then yes he could go on but if I were him I would get down to 175lbs where getting clipped ain't so devastating as it is when a cruiser cops ya .
Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #25
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

I think one reason why Green is disliked is that he is a bully sort of figure, he tries to act the hard man and talk about knocking over horses and all sorts of silly shit. It sounds good to somebody who doesn't understand boxing, but to somebody like myself who respects the art of boxing it's pointless and makes him sound like an insecure narcissist. His style and his persona offends me, he is a caveman and people who don't know boxing believe that boxing is Danny Green. That's not boxing, that's unintelligent bogan rock em sock em robot style. As soon as someone doesn't fall over he loses confidence, he lacks character and intelligence. I don't respect someone like that. His choice of opponents and his constant attempts to talk himself up hurt boxing. Alot of non boxing fans changed their tune over the past few years, you ask them their opinion on Green and it's "He's a dickhead who's full of himself". It paints a bad picture of boxing when their only exposure to boxing is Mundine and Green. At least Mundine has shown some boxing skills over the years.
I hope some of those people watched the Tarver fight to see that boxing can be about skills and class without juvenile tough talk. Tarver made Green seem like a weak man inside and outside the ring.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #26
Likatiga
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Have a look out of the ring Greeny. Tell me you would not want to spend more time with Nina (who wouldn't right?) and the kids then jump back in the ring with Tarver and probably cop another beating. Hopefully last night shows that the time is right hang'em up and enjoy the life.
Likatiga is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #27
dawsosj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

danny is an excellent human being who probably bit off more than he could chew last night, if hes not ready to give it up i would try go down to lhw i have always thought since his comback he could make a dent in the division, last night showed he wont go down, ( i know he was ****ed up but he has the heart of a warrior) and at least he would be able to use his bullying style on people like cleverly and shumenov etc if he wants some wins to cement his legacy
dawsosj is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #28
HookMeister
Mercurial
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
..... but to somebody like myself who respects the art of boxing it's pointless and makes him sound like an insecure narcissist. His style and his persona offends me... Tarver made Green seem like a weak man inside and outside the ring.
That you, and Green's other detractors in here, come into this thread - one recognising Danny's efforts - shows you don't respect much at all.
All the hot air excuses you have why he isn't this or that. Tell me, how many world champions have you stepped into the ring with? None? I thought so.
HookMeister is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #29
aussie opinion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 925

ive had bit of dribble to say about lack of quality opposition and active oppenents(excl tarve it seems)lol.. but the bloke has been good for aussie up n comers and he will make a great promoter when he's done
aussie opinion is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #30
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Did Danny fight to his full ability v Tarver ? if as I suspect he only was ALLOWED to fight like that v a slippery old vet like Antonio then yes he could go on but if I were him I would get down to 175lbs where getting clipped ain't so devastating as it is when a cruiser cops ya .
He looked really bad mate almost KD in the 1st,KD in the 2nd won 1 round the 7TH.
stiflers mum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum