Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #46
jpab19
Exploding Muffin Dad
East Side Guru

vCash: 9287
Default Re: Sky Sports!!!

McCrory is woefully inept. He often blantantly interrupts McGuigan from saying something that is relevant and comes out with non-sensical drivel.
jpab19 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #47
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I agree with you on Moore and McGuigan.

I have said many times that Nelson is fine in the studio doing Ringside and visiting the gyms for the recorded pieces. But, as a pundit on fight night, he is truly awful, as is McCrory. They appear to do very little homework on the fighters and come out with lazy, cliche-ridden babble. The only time I remember Nelson actually say anything interesting was a few months ago when he gave some good insights into a Sheffield-based prospect (forget the name of the boxer), but he should be providing that level of rich analysis every week.

Nelson and McCrory doing the Haye-Vlad fight tactics roleplay in Hamburg was embarrassingly poor, Jaysus they were a right state.

That's what ticks me off about Nelson, he just comes out with same cliched crap time and again. Once you've heard him once, you've heard him a million times.
gooners!! is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #48
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Macklin was very good when he was in the studio
ishy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #49
Scottrf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooners!! View Post
That's what ticks me off about Nelson, he just comes out with same cliched crap time and again. Once you've heard him once, you've heard him a million times.
Scottrf is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #50
avo
I Got Milk Baby!!!
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

i liked how they showed some of the american fights at 11am the next day as i go out saturdays and get hammered watch them when i wake up.
avo is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #51
robster
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpab19 View Post
McCrory is woefully inept. He often blantantly interrupts McGuigan from saying something that is relevant and comes out with non-sensical drivel.
Is that humanly possible?

I think Barry's a great addition but I agree with Gasman, he sometimes hogs the microphone and doesn't let others speak. Good pundit though! not afraid to speak his mind
robster is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #52
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishy View Post
Macklin was very good when he was in the studio
Yeah, I agree with you there. Macklin comes across very natural, confident and articulate. I prefer to listen to him than the likes of Moore and Barker - who are ok, just a preference to listen to Macklin.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #53
sg85
Bang on the chan
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpab19 View Post
Agreed.

Think McGuigan is good, apart from his weird habit of pointing with his middle finger (so ends up flipping everyone off).

Just wish they took more of a page from the US commentary teams and actually give their own opinions more-so, right or wrong they'd get more respect IMO.
sg85 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #54
Welsh Dragon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Positives:

Ringside - excellent

Return of Gary Newbon to studio

Sky/Adam Smith challenging quality of fights, under cards and prepared to pull a PPV for quality assurance purposes - a big plus

Documentaries on BHOP, Paul Ingle/Watson etc all excellent

A significant improvement on the amount of domestic match ups this season

Some excellent talented prospects coming through and this should feed into next season's cards

Barry McGuigan saying it as it is as a pundit - he has been excellent (but needs to allow others to speak and not have to have the last word - still he is miles better than the others).

Richie Woodhall, Ed Robinson, Adam Smith and Jim Watt - all excellent

Negatives:

Weaker cards should be on Friday nights, only use primetime slots on Saturday night for the big events.

Groves-Degale as a PPV for a British Title fight was a rip off. Degale and Groves were mandated to fight for the British Title so purse bids should have not been be aligned to an assurance that it could be paid for by PPV.

Standard of refereeing and judging has been poor this season. Terry O'Connor is particularly bad and there needs to be fresh faces next season, the same handful of ref and judges seem to do all the Sky cards.

Still no use of Steve Bunce as a pundit or even as a guest on Ringside.

Burns v Cook and the reported betting irregularities

Nelson and McCrory - both are dead wood - money for old rope is exactly how they come across, piss poor.

This about sums it up!
Welsh Dragon is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #55
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
I like him, mainly because he's the only promoter that puts on decent shows in the North-East. I wouldn't say that I overly like him, but I do stick up for him on here (perhaps too much, hence why I'm being called a nuthugger here ) when I think he's getting unnecessary criticism.

Concepcion vs. Hammond I + II were both undercard fights, and I think you're being harsh on Booth vs. Hunter and McDonnell vs. Jamoye, the former being a well anticipated fight which resulted in a great performance from Booth, and the latter producing a fantastic fight. Hall vs. Donnelly I'll give you though

I'm not going to go into the undercards too much, but I do think that people just look at his heavyweight match-ups - which is fine, because they're the ones Sky pick - and come to the conclusion that Maloney puts on shit undercards (with recent match-ups like Price-Dallas and Dallas-Page being the exception).

Despite that, he does put on decent undercards most of the time. Ochieng-Cameron was a great little match-up, as was Place-Grant. Hill-Samuels, Dallas-Page, Rose-Welsh and Bhatia-Jones were all on the same card, plus it was topped by Webb-Arron!

He also puts on some duds and card fillers, but for the most-part, I think Maloney's shows are decent. They're not world-beaters by any means, yet the shows aren't exactly left in the wake by those that Matchroom, Hatton Promotions etc. put on. However, Maloney gets a lot more criticism than them by some people on here, which I think is unfair.
I think it is partly due to the fact that Maloney's stable is a bit uninspiring, how many of his fighters do you really look forward to fighting in anticipated match ups? Plus, the heavyweights he has were not challenged for two years. On the average, I would say his cards (not only the main event) are probably more uncompetitive that what the others put on - again that could be due to the impression I get from what Sky show. I have been to a couple of Maloney shows last season and I enjoyed both shows, so not all bad, but definitely room for improvement.
gasman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum