Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 AM   #1
SlickMick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 396
Default Distance awareness

Distance awareness/range control seems to be something I have difficulty with.
Are there specific exercices I can do to remedy the situation, or does it simply come with experience/sparring?
SlickMick is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
myboxingcoach
myboxingcoach

vCash: 500
Default Re: Distance awareness

Hey Slick (love the name!)

Here's links to a couple of articles that might help:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Any questions you have mate I'll be happy to try and answer them back on this thread.

Cheers mate

Fran
myboxingcoach is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
P.4.P.G.O.A.T.
Q Boro Killa Bee
ESB Addict

vCash: 13418

It's a good question and an underrated skill to have. My trainer and I focus on it a lot during padwork. Getting properly into and out of range is best refined on pads and then brought to sparring.
P.4.P.G.O.A.T. is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Sprawla
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Sprawla is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Sprawla
Contender
ESB Senior Member

this is a good question but i doubt anyone here is able to answer it.

First you need to be able to find your range where you can land from and then be able to keep your range with your footwork.

When you hit a bag take not of your distance between you and the bag where you can land shots from, also when you do punching drills with a partner guage your range. It just take time to be able to guage correctly. Then once you can do it in drills try to do it n your sparring.

Practice your footwork, moving back, forward, angles so on. If your opponent takes half a step forward you take half a step back to keep your desired range. If he rushes you and you dont want to get caught on the back foot, use spins or lateral movent, then readjust your range.

Learn proper footwork, never get caught crossing your feet over. Footwork is the key to being able to keep your range.

Also once you can judge your punching range try to judge your opponent lnding range. If you are in his landing range, get ready to use head work. If your head is out of his landing range just use parries. It would be pointless being in his punching range and not using head movement or tight guard.
Sprawla is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 505

Comes with experience, but it'll come faster if you focus on footwork drills and develop your agility and balance.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I think there is a little bit of murkiness in your request. There are two kinds of finding range in Boxing. One is a more of a skill. One is more of a gift. Both can be improved with practice, but only the skill should be relied upon.

The skill is knowing when a guy is in YOUR punching range and keeping him there, i.e., not too far and not too close. That just comes practicing and knowing your personal distance. This can be improved on the bag establishing maximum effective punching range/arm extension and training there. On the mitts with movement and firing. In shadow Boxing training for maximum extension. In sparring using the lessons learned. Once you know exactly when YOU can hit a guy? You now have your range.

The "gift" is knowing when a guy can/can't reach you. That is an ability to look at punches coming with steel nerves, a calm soul, and adjust until just slightly out of range or slipping after the opponent has committed to the shot. That is a gift. You either can do it or you can't. I also would not suggest relying on it. Guys like Toney, Ali, Pep, Martinez, etc... were blessed with that ability. It falls under the "That Dude" theory. If you are asking about things "That Dude" does? You are not him.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #8
johnnykoolkid
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 326

i like extended my jab out there as far as possible, but popping it, not sloppy and leaving it out there, cause he can can counter over the top with the right hand
johnnykoolkid is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
SlickMick
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 396

Thanks everyone for the responses.
SlickMick is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
red boy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I am finding it hard to get my range sorted out, i lean in to punches and leave my self off balance. I think it is something that will come with time though
red boy is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by red boy View Post
I am finding it hard to get my range sorted out, i lean in to punches and leave my self off balance. I think it is something that will come with time though
Shadow box. Learn to step in with your jab. It is normal for guys, especially with longer reach, to lean a bit. Your natural instinct is not to over commit to going into danger. Keep at it.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing