Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #16
Stiltskin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 206
Default Re: Why do people consider Wlad a better boxer than Vitali?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
All his fundamentals are better.

He throws every punch better, in terms of pure technique. Granted, he only really uses the one and the two more often than not - but watch the times he does throw a hook or an uppercut. It's textbook perfection. When Vitali repeats the same actions, it isn't.

His footwork is actually better, since joining up with Steward. People think Vitali's is better because he's able to maintain his balance while stepping in more chaotic and herky-jerky patterns, but he's often just hanging on to that balance by a thread. It works for him, great - but he doesn't have better footwork than Wlad (who hasn't had even a momentary lapse of remote balance issues in several years).

Vitali is much more awkward, and his fans like to point to that making him being a better overall fighter (along with being tougher and "more of a natural fighter", which...whatever. We won't even get into that nonsense right now). His style in and of itself isn't better or worse than Wlad's - it's just different.

Each has strengths and weaknesses, when directly contrasted and compared.

Vitali has the greater endurance (insofar as being able to "go go go" without slowing), the better chin, and may be a bit quicker on his toes.

Wladimir hits harder, is the better fundamental boxer, has the faster power punches (speaking of true, feet-set power punches and not just flurries thrown while moving) and actually places his feet better than Vitali even though they're slower.
I agree, though there is no reason to dismiss the Vitali being the natural fighter thing as Wlad himself has said exactly that. There completely different fighters the better boxer is Wlad sure technically and textbook wise he throws everything perfect, Vitali's a way different fighter a combination of a counter puncher and a pressure fighter he's very unique, he only throws arm punches most the time probably to conserve stamina but he still stops most everyone and I will say he's a smarter fighter than many give him credit for he doesn't rely on his chin as much as people think he controls distance masterfully people say he's a risk taker and all that not really he does fight but he keeps his distance and stays in his comfort zone he is more active and willing to exchange when the battle gets heated so I like watching him a bit more....
Stiltskin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #17
WiDDoW_MaKeR
ESB Hall of Fame Member
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO KIDD View Post
its sad cause Wlad could have way more offense ant totally should have beat guys like Rahman Chagaev Thompson and Peter in the second fight and Chambers in half the time it actually took him

Steward said pre Brewster one that the left hook is his best and favorite punch in his arsenal but why does he neglect it

I loved his finish in Peter 2 swing both hands wide like a hook uppercut reminded me of Foreman he should do this more often
Why does it matter if you think that Wlad could have finished opponents earlier than he did? Same result... so why does it matter if it is sooner? I happen to enjoy a 10 round beat down that ends in a stoppage. I don't like getting the snacks out.. taking a sip of beer... and the fight being over in 30 seconds.
WiDDoW_MaKeR is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #18
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiltskin View Post
I agree, though there is no reason to dismiss the Vitali being the natural fighter thing as Wlad himself has said exactly that. There completely different fighters the better boxer is Wlad sure technically and textbook wise he throws everything perfect, Vitali's a way different fighter a combination of a counter puncher and a pressure fighter he's very unique, he only throws arm punches most the time probably to conserve stamina but he still stops most everyone and I will say he's a smarter fighter than many give him credit for he doesn't rely on his chin as much as people think he controls distance masterfully people say he's a risk taker and all that not really he does fight but he keeps his distance and stays in his comfort zone he is more active and willing to exchange when the battle gets heated so I like watching him a bit more....

Vitali boxes like a kickboxer. It's a fish out of water style.

If Wladimir had gone into kickboxing with him; Vitali would have been the much better kickboxer and only made to look even better than he was regarded stacked up against him. It's more suited to his strengths, and less to Wladimir's.

Wladimir is the better boxer.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
Post Box
I'm back too, bitches
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

wlad has superior boxing fundamentals and is more the orthodox fighter but Vitali is more awkward and seems to have more of a natural fighting ability
Post Box is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #20
Post Box
I'm back too, bitches
East Side Guru

Quote:

He throws every punch better, in terms of pure technique. Granted, he only really uses the one and the two more often than not - but watch the times he does throw a hook or an uppercut. It's textbook perfection. When Vitali repeats the same actions, it isn't.

His footwork is actually better, since joining up with Steward. People think Vitali's is better because he's able to maintain his balance while stepping in more chaotic and herky-jerky patterns, but he's often just hanging on to that balance by a thread. It works for him, great - but he doesn't have better footwork than Wlad (who hasn't had even a momentary lapse of remote balance issues in several years).

Vitali is much more awkward, and his fans like to point to that making him being a better overall fighter (along with being tougher and "more of a natural fighter", which...whatever. We won't even get into that nonsense right now). His style in and of itself isn't better or worse than Wlad's - it's just different.

Vitali has the greater endurance (insofar as being able to "go go go" without slowing), the better chin, and may be a bit quicker on his toes.

Wladimir hits harder, is the better fundamental boxer, has the faster power punches (speaking of true, feet-set power punches and not just flurries thrown while moving) and actually places his feet better than Vitali even though they're slower.
Yeahh.. this is basically what I was tryna say but I suck
Post Box is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #21
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiDDoW_MaKeR View Post
Why does it matter if you think that Wlad could have finished opponents earlier than he did? Same result... so why does it matter if it is sooner? I happen to enjoy a 10 round beat down that ends in a stoppage. I don't like getting the snacks out.. taking a sip of beer... and the fight being over in 30 seconds.
Im a fan of his and like the domination and beatings he does hand out but I think there are times when he could get more aggressive

like after 3 or 4 rounds he has the guys under total control realizes they cant hit or hurt him and then drop them

like how he was in Byrd 2 and the Brock fight fought cautious early and put them away in the 7th

maybe im being over critical and im not expecting a 1 round killer like Tyson

but i think he could open up more some times he doesnt let his left hook go anymore despite it being a great weapon
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #22
Derrick_Rose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Both are totally overrated! Nuff said!
Derrick_Rose is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #23
Stiltskin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 206

Quote:

Vitali boxes like a kickboxer. It's a fish out of water style.

If Wladimir had gone into kickboxing with him; Vitali would have been the much better kickboxer and only made to look even better than he was regarded stacked up against him. It's more suited to his strengths, and less to Wladimir's.

Wladimir is the better boxer.
Well yes I was a kickboxer at one time the difference is mainly the footwork Wlad is better it that category in Boxing it's pretty much inch by inch with kickboxing well there lots too it but basically you move more there's sliding side kicks, and japanese thrust kicks ..it's more energetic and erratic I would say you are correct it played to Vitali strengths, Wlad wouldn't of done so well in that sport. Of course the main point is yeah Wlad is the better boxer hell just look at how he throws punches compared to Vitali it's plain to see but I gotta say though unrelated it's always been a favorite punch of mine other than the left hook check out the spinning back fist's Vitali throws in his kickboxing career ....Not to many people will know much about it but a 6 "7 guy throwing that with the velocity he managed is F"in incredible thats a very hard punch and for a man as big as that incredible I can describe how to do it step by step and such but it isn't easy even for a small man.
Stiltskin is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #24
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Yea physically Wlad maybe a tad quicker, stronger, harder puncher, but Vitali overall better he knows his limits and doesnt fight as nervous or fidgety as Wlad. Alot smarter too more patient and in control. Heard rumors the bros sparred in the past and Wlad supposedly would get the better. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by elchivito; 07-28-2011 at 10:42 PM.
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #25
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

i would say vitali is the better boxer. smarter. wlad is just more athletic.
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #26
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Quote:

Thank you for saving me trouble of typing out something similar.

Something I would point out... My first day in a boxing gym, as I guess most others was the same, the coach told me that boxing was all about balance.

If you are off balance, you get hit, you are on your ass.

If you are off balance, you throw a punch, you are out of position to throw another one...or to defend properly.

That's why the first thing you learn is stance and movement.

When you finally learn to throw punches, the movements are taught showing the maximum impact while maintaining that balance. Form comes first. With good form and practice comes speed. With form, practice and speed comes power.

If thrown correctly, each punch leaves you on balance and in perfect position to throw another, to defend or to move...without ever being off balance and risking danger.

Wlad's style, under Steward, like Intentional already said, "is textbook perfection" of those things. Perfect stance, perfect movement, perfect punching technique, perfect balance. Hands up, chin down.

Its something that, unless you have had to do it yourself, you don't appreciate how hard it is to do correctly...especially when someone is trying to punch you in the face....for 12 rounds.

Vitali on the other hand, has a style that is not textbook at all. He's rolling with what feels good at the moment. Hands down, herky-jerky, chopping punches...its very risky and lacks fundamentals entirely. He only gets away with those mistakes because of 1) granite chin, 2) conditioning, 3) outstanding reflexes.

Wlad is an architect, Vitali is a wrecking ball.

Wlad is more like Hopkins (methodical, technical), Vitali is more like Roy Jones (getting by on reflexes & athleticism).

When someone says BOXING, I'm thinking the sweet science...textbook offense/defense. Work behind the jab, create openings, looks for weaknesses, use feints. Its a chess match.

Wlad is a boxer. Hopkins is a boxer. Floyd Mayweather is a boxer. Juan Manuel Marquez is a boxer. Lennox Lewis was a boxer. Mike Tyson was a boxer.

When someone says a BRAWLER, I'm thinking that the textbook is out the window and its about natural ability and flying by the seat of your pants. Brawlers try to overwhelm you with sheer force, either straight away or over time.

Vitali is a Brawler. Chris Arreola is a BRAWLER. David Haye is a Brawler. Mayorga is a brawler.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #27
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 750

Wlad fights tall, Vitali fights big.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqK3VwQ_rYc[/ame]

See the difference? He has the handspeed of Carl Froch. He has the footwork of Bernard Hopkins, and the chin of James Toney. He also does some really subtle feints which would be really difficult to deal with.

Vitali looked like he wanted to beat the shit out of Solis after Solis was limping. It was the sort of look like "wtf? I wanted to knock your punk ass out!". The sort of disdain which cannot be faked and which only true fighters have.

Last edited by Boxmaster; 07-29-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Boxmaster is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 AM   #28
jisi
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Because he very clearly is.
jisi is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #29
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Vitali is the better of the two, he is very deceptive, quick counterpuncher!!!!!!!
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2011, 12:29 AM   #30
Overhill
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1201

Pretty much every expert thinks Wlad is better and Vitali is tougher.
It's not only ESB'rs.
Overhill is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum