boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
Hatake88

vCash: 500
Default Sore wrist!

I am starting to hit harder due to me finally being able to transition power from the hips...unfortunately, my right wrist feels like snapping while I am doing it.

As far as I know, I use proper bag gloves (they're geniune leather and come from a brand with a good reputation) and my hands are wrapped correctly (I showed my coach and he said it was okay. He even rewrapped my hands for me and, by that stage, it still hurted). I don't have any bone related diseases (sorry, not trying to sound rude but I don't know the medical name?) although my frame is quite small.

Coach has no idea how to deal with it...he suggested buying another pair of hand wraps and putting on a second layer- however, I tried that too and my hand couldn't fit into the glove....

Any help please?

Thanks!
Hatake88 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Hatake88

Default Re: Sore wrist!

Extra information (not sure if relevant): I can do straights and jabs without any pain...its just the hooks that are causing trouble.

Also note that my left hand when utilising the same techniques have no problems at all. I am a natural rightie (which is a bit wierd when you think about it).
Hatake88 is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

I had the same problems when I was first boxing. We had to do a lot of press ups in training and I switched from pushing with him palms (with wrists bent) to pushing with my fists (straight wrists). The problem went away, but it could have just been a result of both wrists strengthening naturally. It might be worth a try anyway
Squire is offline  Top
Old 08-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Sounds more like poor technique if everything else is good to go. As for getting your double wrapped hands in bag gloves, if using the mitt type gloves, try the XL size since you mentioned you have a small frame.

I'd guess you are not properly locking your wrist prior to impact. I'd get the occasional wrist snap if I got lazy with technique and it can hurt for days on end.

Check this out. Make a fist without thinking about it with the arm that hurts and hold it up so as to look at it---what I look for is a relatively flat plane from mid forearm to the knuckles.

If the top of your hand is going up or down at the wrist in comparison to the forearm, that can be your problem. Too much in either direction could cause your wrist to deflect upon impact.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing