Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347
Default Gained 15 pounds at basic training

So I some how gained 15 pounds at basic. I weighed 125, and now I'm at 140(most I've weighed in my life. Anyways, I'm trying to get back to competing but am unsure what weight to fight at now...do I cut weight from 140 or will I be able to lose this fat and cut down to 125
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
MrSmall

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gained 15 pounds at basic training

how old are you? isn't there a class between 140 and 125? if your conditioning is not compromised don't worry about your weight, unless you are at a pretty high level, which I imagine you aren't if you have just joined the army?
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Im 19 ghd reason im worried about he weight is because ts not muscle, I basically,gsindd 15 pounds of shit
Old 08-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I'm assuming you joined a ground pounder branch? I didn't gain an ounce in Navy boot camp but then again they didn't emphasize having to march with gear or do pull ups, basically just enough push ups and sit ups to get us past the PRT. I wound up getting up to 178 on my ship during last deployment and came back down to 152 after I started boxing.
PNoyFightFanUSN is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNoyFightFanUSN View Post
I'm assuming you joined a ground pounder branch? I didn't gain an ounce in Navy boot camp but then again they didn't emphasize having to march with gear or do pull ups, basically just enough push ups and sit ups to get us past the PRT. I wound up getting up to 178 on my ship during last deployment and came back down to 152 after I started boxing.
Nope, air force..we basically just ran for pt
Old 08-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Why have you gained so much weight...?
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Nope, air force..we basically just ran for pt
ohhh. well, at least you'll have lots of spare time and nice cushy base gyms. I thought they at least made you march with rifles or something. You'll probably just have to work out how you used to when you're off working hours.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNoyFightFanUSN View Post
ohhh. well, at least you'll have lots of spare time and nice cushy base gyms. I thought they at least made you march with rifles or something. You'll probably just have to work out how you used to when you're off working hours.
I'm thinking the same thing, plus they put a lot of sodium in the food here because it's so hot. So it makes me retain water like crazy
Old 08-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Why have you gained so much weight...?

Because the day is structured. You get 3 squares a day and hit the rack at pretty much the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning.

There's no sitting at the computer eating crap and playing video games until 4 a.m. then sleeping till 2 p.m. You don't have any real free time to do what you want====only what they want.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
Because the day is structured. You get 3 squares a day and hit the rack at pretty much the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning.

There's no sitting at the computer eating crap and playing video games until 4 a.m. then sleeping till 2 p.m. You don't have any real free time to do what you want====only what they want.
Plus our PT sucks, I'm really upset actually. I was in better shape than when I went in
Old 08-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post

That doesn't answer Primadonna's question. If anything it's an argument for why he would have not gained too much weight.
BladeJrs is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeJrs View Post
That doesn't answer Primadonna's question. If anything it's an argument for why he would have not gained too much weight.

Bulllshit, He's getting proper rest, eating 3 squares a day, has a day structured around some form or PT, classroom and practical training exercises.

I gained 20 lbs. in boot camp back in 1970 in the dead of summer in Orlando, Florida in that oppressive heat. It's the structure of eating wholesome meals 3 times a day, same time every day and getting in and out of the rack at basically the same time.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Gumbo, your first post didn't answer anything and your second post is just you rambling on. What are you going on about?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 AM   #14
PNoyFightFanUSN
Larry Don't Give a ****
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Gumbo, your first post didn't answer anything and your second post is just you rambling on. What are you going on about?
I think he means that you sleep when they tell you to and his food choices aren't going to be the same as what he ate before. So even if he ate things that are healthier than the crap the military gives you, he's also not exercising as intensely as before so he's picking up weight from that.

When he's done with tech school and all that other shit I'm sure he'll find plenty of time to drop the weight back off. But those first few months in the military are generally pretty rigid and structured for you.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post

What part of "He's getting proper rest, eating 3 square meals a day and his day is structured" don't you get??? You put that together and most young people who are thin are going to gain weight.

If he's just finished basic, I'd say he's either still a teen to mid 20's at best. I've raised kids into their 20's and beyond and have tons of nieces and nephews that age. As a rule, they do not eat wholesome meals and grab food on the run. They also tend to burn the candle at both ends as in lack of sleep and constantly on the go until they finally burn out and crash. Having a structured routine is going to change things for them and their metabolism.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing