Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Personal Trainer Courses

Hi all for a long time this is what iv wanted to do. Eventually i want to go beyond personal trainer and go onto degree level for sports science and who knows one day Strength and Conditioning training.

But one step at a time. I hold no qualifications at the moment. I am uk based and have found a company that do both the gym fitness level 2 and then onto personal trainer.

I am seriously considering taking the plunge. Im just after any information or advice some trainers/ qualified people could give me.

Its a bit vague but any help would be appreciated on what should look out for or read up on before hand.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Personal Trainer Courses

What's the name of this company you've found?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

sorry should have probably put that!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

probably one of many offering the same thing, like i said any advice appreciated

this is what i was thinking of specifically as it includes level 2 which i would obviously need

Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Johnboy i'll be honest with you- distance courses are absolutely shite....

If you can- go to college and do it, it might cost you a little more (though you should see if you can get government funding) but you will have a far greater understanding of the various subjects you cover.

I did a level 2 with focus over distance and it was pretty terrible. Pointless monthly tests and fill in the blank questionnaires every few weeks. (someone I know just copied the answers off his mates work from a few year back) The eventual practical assesment too was a load of tosh and though I came out with some qualifications I did not have the confidence to go with my accolades.

When I did my level 3 I went back to college for a year. It was tough (its A-level equivilent) but I was able to ask the questions I needed to and discuss things with class mates somthing that really can't be over sold... I got my level 3 and passed the many assesments and to be honest it was tough but i'm glad I did it that way.

There are so many people who promote themselves to be personal trainers and they haven't got the foggiest idea of the principles of exercise. I'd go as far to say its disgusting especially when they are training kids and the like. Anyway thats a different conversation. Best of luck and I hope you choose the right route for you
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
If you can- go to college and do it, it might cost you a little more (though you should see if you can get government funding) but you will have a far greater understanding of the various subjects you cover.
Definately this.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Thanks Jeff and Virus , ideally thats exactly what i want to do , iv just got to figure out how too financially. I think that company i was looking at do full time study and its meant to be very good. I can fully understand the distance learning has got to suffer in quality in many areas! It can't not !!

Im just in the early stages of researching the best route so advice like this is gold all i know is exactly what youve just said. One thing im a million percent on is I DO NOT want a quick fix and become just another clueless personal trainer!!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Thanks Jeff and Virus , ideally thats exactly what i want to do , iv just got to figure out how too financially. I think that company i was looking at do full time study and its meant to be very good. I can fully understand the distance learning has got to suffer in quality in many areas! It can't not !!

Im just in the early stages of researching the best route so advice like this is gold all i know is exactly what youve just said. One thing im a million percent on is I DO NOT want a quick fix and become just another clueless personal trainer!!
That the best way mate...

I know a local guy whose a belter,

Plyometrics for over 40 year old beginners with a history of knee problems; advising kids not to eat for 24 hours prior to a swimming race then just have a lucozade before they jump in the pool. static streches at the start of a boxing workout without any warm up... The guys a joke - but people are that clueless they pay. Jokes on them I say.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That the best way mate...

I know a local guy whose a belter,

Plyometrics for over 40 year old beginners with a history of knee problems; advising kids not to eat for 24 hours prior to a swimming race then just have a lucozade before they jump in the pool. static streches at the start of a boxing workout without any warm up... The guys a joke - but people are that clueless they pay. Jokes on them I say.
yup i know what you mean mate being a fitness freak myself you come across it all the time. I mean i am not even on the first rung of the ladder and sometimes i hear things in the gym by the instructors that has made me cringe!!

If I ever become like them just shoot me!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Windigo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

You don't you just become an outright conman. You'd be doing the same thing and making more money. Personal training is all about keeping the client. Why would you ever tell them that just doing basic lifts with maybe 15-30 mins of cardio if you want is the best path? If your told you clients the truth they wouldn’t need you.

Great article

Last edited by Windigo; 08-16-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Windigo is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #10
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Idk how it works in the UK but I recently picked up the NSCA textbook and just today started going through the contents and writing up a study plan. Then you just go take the test and you're certified.

Actually finding work as a cpt is another matter, but i'm just doing it to say I did it and as a resume credential if I ever get into coaching. And so I can improve my own workouts =D

PS
Anyone know which organization would be the best to be certified by? I hear ACE is kind of looked down on but don't know much about what separates the NASM, ISSA, and NSCA from one another.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I've been personal training on and off for over 20years. here are my suggestions:

1. create a mission statement. you sound like a pretty good guy with a genuine heart and "nice" intentions. consider how your mission will affect your clients, community and world (why limit yourself, right?). your mission statement will keep you grounded to your purpose and why you do what you do.

2. call your local big box gyms and find out the minimum certification needed for employment (you're in the UK and i'm in the US so i don't have any suggestions for you). consider getting that cert, no matter how "shite" it is (do what you need to do to get the job)

3. get a job at a big box gym and keep it for at least a year. take in everything you can about business (personal training is a business. i know dozens of knowledgable trainers who make pennies because they don't know business, then they become resentful of crappy trainers who make loads of bank). request to have shifts at the front desk as a sales rep, listen and learn how to "close" your client (go through intro, discovery with open ended questions, tease with "free trial"/etc, "point of sale"-upsell, close and follow up -most forget the followup but in many ways it's the most important step to keeping a client)(lots of people have a hard time asking for money. when in negotiations you get to believe that you will have a win-win outcome; that they get your valuable service in trade for a fair financial compensation). network and ask questions from senior staff then shut up and listen. you already "know what you know". now is the time to find out what you "don't know that you don't know", create relationship with them. when people are talking TO you they are building relationship WITH you. all you have to do is maintain it with genuine interest. and if you only learn 10% new of what they're saying that's still way more than you'd learn if you were doing the talking.

3. keep learning! just because i suggest the bare minimum to get the job doesn't mean you get to hold the bar low for yourself. you get to hold a higher standard for yourself than your peers. there are plenty of continuing education courses out there that are pretty good and you can learn at your pace for your level and the demands of the job/environment ... and what your intention is for your mission (check out [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] as a great resource for AWESOME webinars, books and online courses).

4. get a group class certification and learn how to work multiple people at the same time (after you go onto business for yourself you may want to consider a variety of pricing/service tiers and inexpensive group classes are great ways to get entry level clients) (when i first started training i had a class of 60 every week at the local university. that experience was so valuable because now i can coach a class of 15-20 boxers effectively while other coaches only know how to work one-on-one with "a" fighter). stretching yourself and your perceived limits is HUGE!

all in all, what i'm suggesting is simply another option to what's already been said. there's no right or wrong way to do it. look at yourself and ask if you are more "hands on" or "nose in book"? it's no different than boxer A turning pro now and boxer B holding out for the olympic trials next year. both are good and depends more on what your personality and heart have to say. for me hands on is the best way b/c you can't buy experience and effective personal training is a real art form that comes with experience.

good luck!
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #12
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Good post boxing science, I'd still suggest the in person learning route however, served me extremely well!

Regarding the point you make about sale closure or lack of it leading to resentment of less accomplished competitors! I am literally full, I've got one or two spaces each week and most of my clients have been with me for over 12 months- however I do still find mcpersonaltrainers frustrating and laughable at the same time! If your going to do something do it properly or not at all IMO , so much so that the first month after I qualified I didn't charge my clients until I felt the service I was delivering was suitable.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #13
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

BoxingScience thankyou so much thats really given me some great ideas to move forward! Im actually genuinely excited. Iv got alot of options in my life and im lucky in that way but for a long time now this is all iv been interested in and want to do. Its a massive goal of mine but im hoping like you said for it to just be the start, i want to go on from there and gain more knowledge.

It must be a great feeling to be an expert in what you love to do

It will be a couple months of hard graft to get enough money to do it but its all going to be worth it! Cant wait!

oh and the first step iv taken is iv got an interview this thursday for restaurant work but .. its in the biggest health and fitness club in the area so i really want to nail the interview. the way i see it even if im serving food and drink at least im in the right place
Old 08-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #14
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Good post boxing science, I'd still suggest the in person learning route however, served me extremely well!

Regarding the point you make about sale closure or lack of it leading to resentment of less accomplished competitors! I am literally full, I've got one or two spaces each week and most of my clients have been with me for over 12 months- however I do still find mcpersonaltrainers frustrating and laughable at the same time! If your going to do something do it properly or not at all IMO , so much so that the first month after I qualified I didn't charge my clients until I felt the service I was delivering was suitable.
That's it you need to get the learning and the hands on experience, it's not one or the other.
Before I was at uni I worked at a plumbing supplies place and a guy started working for us who had done one of those eight week fitness courses. I don't know what he learned during that course but he didn't know what a plyometric exercise was, he didn't know anything about muscle fibres, I don't think he knew anything about anything. And this guy was qualified to train someone! From what I gather all he learned was some exercises to do in the gym, he couldn't tell you how many reps to do or anything like that though.
To the OP if you go to a good uni you'll get the knowledge and they'll get you doing industry prac at the same time. I'm doing a sports science degree at the moment and the units include anatomy, physiology, nutrition, psychology, biomechanics, motor learning/neuroscience, injury rehab, resistance training, cardio physiology and so on. It really is quite extensive and there is more to learn in each area than you might think. I think a good coach should have atleast solid knowledge in each area as you need to see and understand the whole picture so going to uni would definitely be the way to go. At my uni we've had to train clients as part of our assessment and complete industry prac which I did at the institute of sport here so it's all valuable stuff to have on your CV, through the uni I've also done strength and conditioning courses and completed a course to become a certified olympic weightlifting coach. When you're choosing your degree make sure it's an accredited course with your national sports science association.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2011, 05:02 AM   #15
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

I think your spot on and im going to try and do it that way but im really not sure i will be able to financially , i might just have to get the qualification anyway i can and take the responsibility myself for the quality of my learning and eventually my teaching.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing